IE Temporary Internet Files not deleted

Hoofmark

Hi,

I find that since the latest release of CC, the Temporary Internet Files are not deleted fully. There's always some files left, and no matter how many times I press the 'run cleaner' button, they stay there. This happens both at my desktop PC (vista) and laptop (vista). Never had this before. Is this a bug?

Greetz from Holland :)

• Moderators

Hello Hoofmark :)

Try going to options> advanced> and ticking the box for show detailed log of Internet Explorer temp files and run the cleaner.

Small bug, which should soon be fixed.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Related question: CC does not seem to delete files in this dir:

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

whether the aforementioned box is ticked or not. Is this also part of the bug?

WinXP-SP2, CC v2.04.543

Hello Quidsane,

Some users seem to get a little flustered because the description doesn't seem to make sense.

Maybe we can get the description changed and a little more clarification from the development team.

There is an option box labeled Only delete Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours.

It is located at OPTIONS > Advanced. Try running with that box unchecked.

Check the file immediately after running CCleaner.

If something is still there,then Reboot.

Please fill us in as to to what happens and when.

Good Luck,

:) davey

Below is a list of changes for version v1.14.072.The description seems to make a little more sense.

v1.14.072

- Added Opera cache cleaning.

- Added Clipboard cleaning.

- Improved Cookie cleaning.

- Improved IE Cache cleaning.

- Removed Advanced Cache Delete.

- Reduced Temp file delete delay to 48 hours.

- Added Advanced section to Windows cleaner.

- Added Paint Shop Pro 9.0 cleaner.

- Remembers if application is maximized on closing.

- Tweaked Firefox detection for non-English systems.

- Updated System Spec routines.

- Tweaked interface colours and styles.

Edited by davey

There is an option box labeled Only delete Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours.

It is located at OPTIONS > Advanced. Try running with that box unchecked.

Yeah, already tried that. It has no effect whatsoever on the TIFs that I specified.

Remember, I'm not referring to the TIFs that can be accessed through IE's "Internet Options" which is here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (this is the only one displayed in the log)

but CC doesn't seem to be even looking here:

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.

Why not? It's full of websites and cookies and ads and such.

AFAIK, TIF's are in several locations, some hidden.

I looked in winapp.ini and could find no reference to IE. Which TIF files/folders does CC clean?

I mean, what are the paths? Also, does CC address the files referenced here:

Microsoft's Really Hidden Files

I know CC gets some of them (marked for deletion at reboot). I want to know if CC gets all of them.

Below is a list of changes for version v1.14.072.

Ok, did I miss something? My version is 2.04.543??

WinXP-SP2, CC v2.04.543

Yes,

I understand what you are saying.I personally don't know exactly which all the ones they do or don't do.

I have been surprized that sometimes that option makes a difffernce on some files that I wouldn't consider Windows temp files.

I'll leave it up to someone with more historical knowledge of CCleaner.I am sure every file has been considered by the development team at one point or the other.Seems like one users junk file is another users treasure file etc.

You still have the option to Include or Exclude what you want cleaned on a regular basis.

As regrds reference to version v1.14.072,that is when the time delay was changed from 10 days to 48 hrs.

:) davey

Seems like one users junk file is another users treasure file etc.

Haha, isn't THAT the truth! :lol:

You still have the option to Include or Exclude what you want cleaned on a regular basis.

As regrds reference to version v1.14.072,that is when the time delay was changed from 10 days to 48 hrs.

Ahhh.. so I did miss something. Thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

• Moderators

I understood that this option applied to temp files, i.e. files in your windows/temp. doc and settings/username/local settings/temp etc., and not to temp internet files. I have this box ticked and all my temp internet files are cleared.

I have this box ticked and all my temp internet files are cleared.

Even the ones located here?:

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Are you running WinXP-SP2? Have you checked this location? FYI, LocalService is a hidden folder by default.

CC is definitely not clearing these files out on my machine...

Yep, this folder only contains two files, index.dat and desktop.ini. Index.dat is 32 kb,
Necessary index.dat files always will be recreated upon Windows reboot.

The desktop.ini files are only needed if you do customization on that Folder.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

CCleaner sometimes wont delete files in a folder

Yes, I think this is the problem.

Are index.dat and desktop.ini the only two files that are supposed to be in

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 ?

• Moderators

CC does not delete index.dat because this file is allocated to and in use by windows. If you have the option to delete index.dat files ticked then this file, or these files, will be deleted on pc reboot. But not securely as CC is not doing the delete.

Desktop.ini is a system file so CC probably leaves this alone. It is harmless.