Java update

JDPower

I have Secunia software inspector installed. (It's usually pretty on-to-it regarding anything out of date, sometimes flagging the OS before Windows Update notifies me), it reports my Java as patched/up to date. Going to the Java site to "verify installation" gives me the same message.

Is this "update 4" only for certain versions?

I have Secunia software inspector installed. (It's usually pretty on-to-it regarding anything out of date, sometimes flagging the OS before Windows Update notifies me), it reports my Java as patched/up to date. Going to the Java site to "verify installation" gives me the same message.

Is this "update 4" only for certain versions?

The Java updates are released on the Sun site first before being issued from the Java main site and Java updates.

A followup question, JD . . . per your suggestion, I uninstalled Updates 2 and 3 and discovered that "Java SE Development Kit 6 - Update 4" was also installed -- almost 290MBs worth. Just what is that and do I need it -- or can that also be uninstalled?

A followup question, JD . . . per your suggestion, I uninstalled Updates 2 and 3 and discovered that "Java SE Development Kit 6 - Update 4" was also installed -- almost 290MBs worth. Just what is that and do I need it -- or can that also be uninstalled?

I think it can, it shouldn't even be installed (it's not even in the section I linked to :huh: ). If it's listed separately to the Java runtime I would assume it can be uninstalled.