How did I get a HP folder on my Dell?

Anthony A

I was looking in my Documents And Settings folder and I noticed a HP folder with my regular folders :blink: I am assuming HP means Hewlett Packard. It say HP ADM. I am using a Dell :o What is this about?

2008-01-09_214323.jpg

I installed Ashampoo 6.5 but I don't think this has anything to do with it. I created a restore point before I did it and rolled back but the folder is still there. To be honest I don't know if it was there before I installed Ashampoo or not. It wasn't there the last time I looked though which wasn't to long ago.

Roxio?

I have not installed Roxio. I now have this on two lap tops and both are Dells. So I have done something to both machines recently that creates that folder but I don't know what. Both Dell's came with Sonic Record not Roxio.

Both machines are running very well and no malware was found on scans with multiple malware scanners used.

I Googled it but all I get are hundreds of Hijackthis logs.

Check the date, when that folder was created. Then use Windows search to find files created on that same date. http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08024/searchscr562.jpg From 'Advanced options', check: search from hidden files/folders, system folders and subfolders. Put to 'Look in' your C drive.

I use that method, if i got strange files/folders on my system to find out, what program possibly installed that file/folder.

Check the date, when that folder was created. Then use Windows search to find files created on that same date. http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08024/searchscr562.jpg From 'Advanced options', check: search from hidden files/folders, system folders and subfolders. Put to 'Look in' your C drive.

I use that method, if i got strange files/folders on my system to find out, what program possibly installed that file/folder.

I did that search and all the files created on the date the HP ADM file was created are from Burrrn and Audio Grabber.

2008-01-10_163122.jpg

Is there anything in the file?

When I open the full path it leads to a temp folder.

I'm thinking this must have something to do with using the portable versions of both Audio Grabber and Burrrn. Both of those apps were put on a USB thumb drive while I was on a HP machine. Than I copied the them over to my Dells. I have never had an issue with portable apps doing this before. That's why I use the portable versions of programs if they have one because no install is needed and moving them from machine to machine is easy instead of having to install for each machine. I set the app up the way I want than just copy it to my other machines. I have done this many many times with no issue.

I think that is Roxio 9.0 log/cache directory: http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofiversio...php/t30497.html

I seen that when I Googled this before. I do not see anything to do with Roxio on either machine though.

This happened on two Dell Laptops on the same day December 30, 2007. Burrrn and Audio Grabber were both put on my machines that day. I seem to always get these obscure make no sense things happen to me <_< At least I know it's nothing serious it's just it will bug me until I find out what is going on :angry:

Well the culprit is definitely Burrrn. I deleted the mystery folder and it's files. Launched Audio Grabber and ripped a CD. Checked and the folder did not return. Launched Burrrn and checked and the folder did not return. Burned a CD with Burrrn and the folder returned.

Dennis you said you use Burrrn and do not get this? Maybe it's something the portable version does.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFT...le-Burrrn.shtml

• Moderators

I think it's impossible for Burrrn to create an HP folder since it is all self-contained in it's very own folder. I also don't think AudioGrabber was capable of that.

If you've possibly hooked up any HP hardware such as; digital camera, MP3 player, Printer/Scanner, etc., that could be what it is and Windows could have automatically installed some files for it to work.

Also if you got your Printer/Scanner with your Dell PC purchase and even if the Printer/Scanner has the Dell brand on it it's made by some other vendor and is perhaps just a re-branded HP model -- although when I got my PC back in 2003 Dell was using re-branded Lexmark's.

EDIT:

Something else that came to mind is if you've installed some software that expects a particular DLL, OCX, etc., that "could possibly cause such a thing to happen."

I think it's impossible for Burrrn to create an HP folder since it is all self-contained in it's very own folder. I also don't think AudioGrabber was capable of that.

If you've possibly hooked up any HP hardware such as; digital camera, MP3 player, Printer/Scanner, etc., that could be what it is and Windows could have automatically installed some files for it to work.

Also if you got your Printer/Scanner with your Dell PC purchase and even if the Printer/Scanner has the Dell brand on it it's made by some other vendor and is perhaps just a re-branded HP model -- although when I got my PC back in 2003 Dell was using re-branded Lexmark's.

EDIT:

Something else that came to mind is if you've installed some software that expects a particular DLL, OCX, etc., that "could possibly cause such a thing to happen."

It is possible to create a HP folder and it did and I figured out why. There is a setting in Burrrn where you can set the temp folder location. It sets it's self on install which I did on a HP machine. I than copied Burrrn to my Dells but when this is done the temp folder location setting does not set it's self to the new machine. It was still set as a HP folder and created that folder every time I burned with Burrrn. I changed that setting and the problem is gone.

Here is a screen shot and it's still set at the HP folder which is the exact folder that was being created on my Dells.

2008-01-11_134442.jpg

It is possible to create a HP folder and it did and I figured out why. There is a setting in Burrrn where you can set the temp folder location. It sets it's self on install which I did on a HP machine. I than copied Burrrn to my Dells but when this is done the temp folder location setting does not set it's self to the new machine. It was still set as a HP folder and created that folder every time I burned with Burrrn.

I had a similar problem when I got my laptop and used a backup from the computer I shared with my girlfriend and couldn't understand why I kept getting a user folder for her created on my laptop. No matter how many times I deleted it it returned. Turned out it was because the Firefox backup I created with FEBE was adding it as FEBE had that directory saved in its settings and FEBE being so good it had backed up it's own settings and kept adding the directory.

Really had me scratching my head for a while :rolleyes: