Fractions of an inch

craigathus

I've been trying to workout the "millimeter" (Metric) equivalent of 19/32 of an inch :huh: , anyone know?

Thanks guys ;) , 2 very handy sites.

I was thinking 16mm, so I wasn't that far off (15.0813mm).

I just got some new tires, and the tread depth is 19/32 of an inch.

• Moderators

I hate all this metric s**t. I drive at miles per hour in my car. Why the hell can't I put gallons of petrol in it instead of litres?

A couple of years ago a local market trader in Sunderland decided to sell his fruit and veg in pounds and ounces as well as kilos, to help old folk who just didn't have a handle on this stuff, even after all these years.

No big deal?

It was to Sunderland council, who took him through all the courts in the country, as far as the European Court of Human Rights to stop him carrying out such a heinous illegal practice. ;)

Sadly, they won the case, and more sadly the guy involved died last year shortly before the European Courts decided it was, after all, perfectly acceptable to sell stuff marked with both metric and imperial weights.

I hate this metric s**t.

End of rant.

Hi Dennis :) , I understand your frustration.

Many years ago "Australia" changed from the Imperial measurement system to the Metric system.

Many people still convert (in there head) common measurements like (150mm is about 6 inches) & (37?C is about 100?F) etc.

• Moderators

I'm one of them craig. When my son or daughter, who don't know anything other than the metric system, tell me something in millimetres or kilos, I still can't conjure up a mental image of that measurement.

I have to try to convert it in my head to get an idea of what they're talking about. I wish they could talk in "old money".

I hate this metric s**t. Or have I already mentioned that? :)

• Moderators
(37?C is about 100?F)

It's strange the things we use to help us remember things (mnemonics)

I always think 19 centigrade is 66 farenheit because 1966 is when England won the world cup!!

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Canada went with the metric system ages ago and at first I had to do the conversion to get a reference for me.

Just remember that -40C = -40F but who the heck would want to live like that :o

I know that 25C is comfortable and below 20C is starting to become cool for me.

100KM/hour is OK on highways ( motorways ) and 110KM/hour will get you a ticket that cuts into your beer money.

Just remember Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

When Ireland (southern) joined whatever (I don't do politics :-) and they changed to metric, all their signs (speed, distance, etc) changed ... no biggie really as most signs already showed both km & miles

But the issue came about if you came in over the border from Northern Ireland (like me) - all the signs have the exact same background and design (probably some European regulation), so as you're driving along (and for those that aren't aware - there isn't actually any physical border between the 2 countries anymore so for the un-familiar you don't know when ur in the south or the north) and all of a sudden you see a sign saying just '100' ... woo-hoo put the foot down ;)

I find that be the time I have figured out that 50 means 30, or 100 means 60 and so on - I've either drove through the village or crashed :lol: (mainly cos if I actually do remember then I'm trying to read the small yellow values on my speedometer)