Registry edits

doodler

Not too sure this is the right forum for this topic. I'm new at this...bear with me.

I'd love to get some expert advice regarding editing my registry (Windows XP). I removed Symantec in favor of Eset Nod32. I used the Norton removal tool to uninstall Symantec from my pc and had no major problems that I could see. Then, I ran CCleaner. But, afterwards I thought I'd check the registry for any remaining Symantec/Norton files by going to Start > Run > Regedit > Edit button > Find > then I typed "Symantec" (and a second time by typing "Norton"). This search resulted in finding a bunch of remaining entries...probably 20 or so.

Eset seems to be running fine on my computer, so I suppose these remaining Symantec and Norton entries aren't hurting anything in that regard. But, should they still be there? Some are actual folders with the words "Symantec" or "Norton" in the titles. Others are strings (? not sure if I'm using the right word...some registry folders themselves may not say "Symantec" or "Norton", but when you click on them, the strings that appear...with an "ab" symbol...have the words "Symantec" or "Norton").

So my question is: Is it appropriate and safe to delete those folder and "string" entries that have the words "Symantec" and "Norton" in them based on my registry search? Or should I leave well-enough alone and not worry about it? As mentioned above, I'm somewhat new to computers, but learning. I'd be grateful for your expert advice.

-I suppose these remaining Symantec and Norton entries aren't hurting anything in that regard. But, should they still be there?

-Is it appropriate and safe to delete those folder and "string" entries that have the words "Symantec" and "Norton" in them based on my registry search? Or should I leave well-enough alone and not worry about it?

-Well, most likely they won't hurt, but it's still good to delete them.

-Yes it is, if don't got any other Symantec or Norton products on your computer, where those registry entries could refer to. You should leave them alone, if you are not sure are they safe to delete. You can also make a backup of the key, just in case; Right click the key, that you're about to delete and select "Export".

I bumped from time to time entries, referring to programs, that i have already removed. Registry cleaners are not able to locate all the invalid/unneeded entries.

So my question is: Is it appropriate and safe to delete those folder and "string" entries that have the words "Symantec" and "Norton" in them based on my registry search? Or should I leave well-enough alone and not worry about it?

It is simply impossible to give broad advice of this kind without actual access to the computer in question. Of course, if you have no other Symantec/Norton software installed, "Symantec" keys *ought* to be safe to remove.

However, I'd advise against removing every single string value that contains the word 'Symantec' or 'Norton' unless you know its exact purpose.

Many registry keys and values are interdependent, and, especially if you're not really at home editing the Registry, you could easily remove more than is called for.

What I'd do is run CCleaner's Registry cleaner, and have it remove what it finds, making sure you answer yes to the back up prompt, and leave well-enough alone!

If you do decide to jump in, I suggest you create a fresh System Restore point beforehand.

• Moderators

I don't know if Microsoft still writes default keys during the Windows installation or not, however in the past they've had some Symantec/Norton references for compatibility reasons.

There is a free Norton Removal Tool by Symantec, although I have no idea if it removes all the registry keys.

There is a free Norton Removal Tool by Symantec, although I have no idea if it removes all the registry keys.

Get RegSeeker then use Clean the Registy to find an remove useless entries.

Then use Find in registry ... for Norton then Symantec to remove the remaining registry entries if you really want to get rid of it.

It stores Backup files and after a suitable time of testing they can be removed.

Then get NTREGOPT to optimize the registry.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• 2 weeks later...