do you double check before turning your computer on?

New_Age

hi, i just upgrading my Motherboard and CPU. every time i double check to make sure everything is in place and seated right because you'll never know when your going to short circuit the Motherboard or any parts. i'm always afraid of that happening but has... it? No. through my experience i say i'm above average in knowing what i'm doing as far as building a PC.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

i meant every part. you know a lot of users don't know if their case doesn't need MoBo stand-offs. i did that on my last MoBo and man my friends said i was lucky my CPU or the MoBo wasn't damaged. i didn't install the stand-offs and that made my MoBo almost short circuit.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

i meant every part. you know a lot of users don't know if their case doesn't need MoBo stand-offs. i did that on my last MoBo and man my friends said i was lucky my CPU or the MoBo wasn't damaged. i didn't install the stand-offs and that made my MoBo almost short circuit.

Hi New_Age :)

I read with interest because I want to attempt to physically install a new video card, and maybe change (Upgrade) my RAM.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, what is a (stand-off) is it anything like an earth or ground wire?

Dose it discharge static buildup?

• Moderators
I want to attempt to physically install a new video card, and maybe change (Upgrade) my RAM.

Doing that is easy, in fact it's beyond easy - it's stupid easy. Working on the inside of the PC chassis is only difficult if the chassis itself is too small and cramped on the inside. For instance my first Dell is very easy to work on because the whole side of the tower comes off, however my newer Dell is somewhat of a pain to work on with how it opens up.

I read with interest because I want to attempt to physically install a new video card, and maybe change (Upgrade) my RAM.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, what is a (stand-off) is it anything like an earth or ground wire?

Dose it discharge static buildup?

stand-offs are little gold plated screws to support the Mobo from touching the MoBo tray of the case. it prevents the Mobo from short circuiting. most require these stand-offs i believe. i think it just matters what company you buy from.

• Moderators

Hi craig, my pc (compaq presario) has very detailed help files under Start > All Programs > User Guides > Upgrading and Servicing Guide.

I've just put in a new Optical Drive, and it was a piece of cake, although that's the first I've fitted anything.

Maybe you have these guides on your pc.

Hi Andavari ;) I've got to admit I know very little about whats inside this big black box :huh:

The side can be completely removed, but I haven't opened it yet.

Doing that is easy, in fact it's beyond easy - it's stupid easy. Working on the inside of the PC chassis is only difficult if the chassis itself is too small and cramped on the inside.

I've been told to use an (earth-strap) :blink: ?

• Moderators

I assume you mean an anti-static wrist band. To be honest I dont think anyone actually uses those(I know I sure as heck dont and neither do any of my friends). Just dont work lay the pc on carpet and slide around while working or anything dumb like that and you should be fine.

i always work on a wooded floor. it's great!