SOAD Tribute

Caldor

Since this is the lounge, and I am celebrating the success of my current homebrew batch of beer by drinking it all this Sunday, Im going to rant about SOAD for no reason other than my own personal gratification!

Systems of a Down has taken what was traditionally an era of Stupidity , of sadly halloween esk "lets play dressups and pretend to be evil when we have no clue about philosophy in general in the hope to sell a few more records so we can all chuck a Dave Mustaine and buy some more heroin" . In my youth I had long hair and proverbial jeans, but refused to get the denim jacket with patches or, lest I forget, succumb to drinking bad beer like budwieser. Liking aggressive music is not tantamount to being an ignoramous or someone socially inept. Its about connecting with the energy inside of you and having a moment to yourself that is not concerned with political correctness or other falsehoods of how we are supposed to behave.

SOAD have brought heavy music into a new era that consists of actual vocal harmonies. There is nothing more emotional than two men singing their lungs out about topics they care about it, and standing up for what their convictions are. That is so much more powerful than some looser growling into a mic. Coupled with the clean tone appegios and other musical licks in their arsenal listening to a SOAD CD is certainly a multi spectrum assault on the senses that insights such real response in the listener as to leave them struck for weeks afterwards.

And when we still have the classic riffs. Apart from being a "viral marketer set upon convincing you all of the virtues Microsoft can give you" ©, I also am a guitarist and I have nothing but admiration for the harmony, syncopation and sheer chops involved in their music. SOAD have a very good sense of ryhtm and use it to great emotional effect in their arrangements.

Unlike the pretence crowd of lesser bands, SOAD also can explore using different instruments and new techniques in reaching higher levels of emotional intensity in their music. If it is not Solder Slide, it is the moments in Needles or Spiders that simply hold such true power to the listener it is nothing short of rapture.

Yes, Daron does have that "Im too busy pulling cones to shower and wash my hair look" but behind his "tapeworm" lies an accomplished musician who's song writing ability, his sheer skill to project his compositions - even to the point where he says in interviews the guitar is the last thing he thinks about....This is a man on a whole new level who doesnt even consider guitar arrangements until its an afterthought in the heavy music genre. What used to be guitar driven music is now soundly free, inspired and penentrated into a whole new way of looking at music.

The situation is only compounded, magnified and intensified when we consider how all the bands members dynamically add up to the might of what SOAD delivers. If we look at Serj we see what the old skool would have regarded as being "totally lame and weak" ® when a man gets up and actually sings with harmony and natural human voice without some lame forced bassificiation and corruption of a man's natural voicing. And yet, we have legions upon legions of fans dumbfounded at the sheer brutal intensity that his natural and harmonic technique delivers in the SOAD stage presence. This is because simply, its raw power, its raw expression, and it needs no lame colouration, no lame pretence for that dominating power in Serj's heart that he delivers so well everytime he steps up for a performance. Performance! Performance is the right word because this band is a dedicated group of serious musicians with one mission - to delight us fans.

No, this is a new thing. And its a good thing. Almost as nice as my beer. I love you all.

Or in short - "I like System of a Down" ;)

I like them alot too, though I don't necessarily agree it's something new. Apart from the band being twelve years old other bands have had the same attitude, just not the amount of publicity (or quite frankly the amount of political ammunition that exists these days).

Incidentally I'm awaiting delivery of Serj's solo album, which judging by the few songs I've heard should be a stonker too B)

I heard one of Serj's new songs on my local radio station...I like it...Empty Walls

I actually agreed a while back to go see the Foo Fighters next month with my girlfriend, even though I'm not really a fan. I'm alot happier now though having seen Serj announced as the support act :D

(Have also read that the infamous Buckethead may be part of Serj's backing band :D )

I've not heard much by them, mainly the singles that made the UK charts.

I don't pay any attention to the charts any more. Used to when I was younger but nowadays it's just a measure of which song has had the most record company money behind it, it has very little musical meaning any more IMO.

I don't pay any attention to the charts any more. Used to when I was younger but nowadays it's just a measure of which song has had the most record company money behind it, it has very little musical meaning any more IMO.
I always thought it was about which song a company could hype the most!

I must admit I still follow the charts but with a top three of Leona Lewis, Take That and McFly I sometimes wonder why I bother...

anyway, I think we should be thinking about Caldor - as he's drank his home brew has he survived without getting a hangover?! The home brew can be strong - I hope System Of A Down kept him sensible and sober! :lol:

From the original Power Rangers theme song??? LOL

I actually wasn't aware of that but yes. Despite that he's a very good, if more than a little bonkers, guitar player. My only previous knowledge of him was his brief stint with Guns n Roses, and recently from Guitar Hero (quite possibly the greatest computer game ever made)