Paint.net and system requirements?

tomcatonnet99

Hi all,

Just downloaded Paint.net and wondering if it runs only in a .net framework

Any particular version atall? and is there any downside to having the .net framework on a winxp pc ? anyone had any problems with it ...... would appreciate some advice as regards this query

many thanks

These are the System Requirements

Minimum System

* Windows XP (SP2 or later),

or Windows Vista,

or Windows Server 2003 (SP1 or later)

* .NET Framework 2.0

* 500 MHz processor (Recommended: 800 MHz or faster)

* 256 MB of RAM (Recommended: 512 MB or more)

* 1024 x 768 screen resolution

* 200+ MB hard drive space

* 64-bit support requires a 64-bit CPU that is running a 64-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows Server 2003, and an additional 128 MB of RAM

Ceci n'est pas une signature

• Moderators

Hi tomcat, I've never had any problems with it, but you would find there would be a big downside if you didn't have up to at least .NET Framework 2.0 on your computer.

It's Microsofts programming platform, and you would probably find very little on the web would actually work without it.

Edited by the plonker who posted it. :(

At least the next bit is right.

Edit: Almost forgot, if you don't have all versions of .net, and decide to install up to .net 3, then do not remove the earlier versions. You need to keep all of them, as they integrate with each other.

Hi tomcat, I've never had any problems with it, but you would find there would be a big downside if you didn't have up to at least .NET Framework 2.0 on your computer.

It's Microsofts programming platform, and you would probably find very little on the web would actually work without it.

One of my machines does not have any of the .NET Framework versions and there is very little that DOESN'T run on it. There are only a few programs that I have wanted to try that required the .NET Framework and I found alternatives that I'm happy with.

• Moderators
There are only a few programs that I have wanted to try that required the .NET Framework and I found alternatives that I'm happy with. One of my machines does not have any of the .NET Framework versions and there is very little that DOESN'T run on it.

I didn't mention running software Anthony, just surfing the web.

Does that machine without .net surf the web without any problems? That would be contrary to everything I've learned on here. Puzzled. ;)

Does that machine without .net surf the web without any problems? That would be contrary to everything I've learned on here. Puzzled. ;)

Yes. It has 6 browsers that all work fine. I'm constantly on line.

In all my surfing I have only come across one on line shop site that required it, and then only for delivery tracking.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

.NET Framework while bloated as hell is just a one-time big download, and it's becoming more needed as application developers are starting to adopt it more. One of the advantages is to have a smaller setup package.

As an example Paint.NET would probably be bloated if it weren't for .NET Framework. Then look at other applications that have such ridiculously small installers for everything they do, Paint.NET being yet another prime example.

In my opinion .NET Framework is one of Microsoft's better creations.