PC Tools Firewall

Pfipps

After tightening the settings in the firewall (stealth mode isn't checked by default for some reason), about two days later I got a message from

Windows Media Extender about setting up an XBox 360. I don't have an xbox, so it means that someone else on my network had

one, or it was an odd glitch. I thought I might have been hacked, but all signs say otherwise.

The pc tools forum didn't respond to my questions about the default advanced setting in the firewall, which is why I posted here.

This is a little off topic, but can you check how much RAM that firewall is using on your machine? (go to Task Manager, and add up the total for every process associated with that application...in case you didn't know)

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

I switched to Vista's firewall (since I never had odd things happen like that before I had PC tools Firewall) and run a HIPS. However, I don't know the number exactly, but I do know the firewall never took more than 12 megs, if my memory serves me correctly.

• Moderators

I'm trying out version 3 now, even though I thought I was done testing third-party firewalls. So far I'm liking it. For folks that need a better in-depth explanation of it's features, settings, etc., should look at the online documentation.

So far it's memory usage is as seen below (click to enlarge):

ec84cbb82040.png

ec84cbb82040.png

My Sygate Firewall is currently using about 6,5Mb. But along with it runs wmiprvse.exe and it's using about 4,7Mb. I don't know why wmiprvse.exe needs to run with Sygate...? :huh: It has been so since i upgraded my Sygate to 5.6.

• Moderators
It has been so since i upgraded my Sygate to 5.6.

Feel lucky you can use version 5.6. I remember way back when it was released the Sygate forums were flooded with "it's broken, it don't work", etc. I still have the 5.5 installer somewhere on a couple of old CD-R's. The only thing I miss about it is the logging feature, but other than that it's ability to slowly rot and become somewhat unusable over time had me drift away from it forever.

My Sygate Firewall is currently using about 6,5Mb. But along with it runs wmiprvse.exe and it's using about 4,7Mb. I don't know why wmiprvse.exe needs to run with Sygate...? :huh: It has been so since i upgraded my Sygate to 5.6.

Thats nothing to do with Sygate (not directly at least), its an, AFAIK, important Windows process (something to do with the Windows Management Instrumentation service that Windows says shouldn't be stopped).

I'm still using Sygate too. Uses about 6-8Mb here, has never caused me a problem and still gets gets full stealth rating on firewall test sites so have stuck with it for about 4 years now.

Thats nothing to do with Sygate (not directly at least), its an, AFAIK, important Windows process (something to do with the Windows Management Instrumentation service that Windows says shouldn't be stopped).

Yes i know that, but it only runs because of Sygate. It wasn't running when i got 5.5 version.

I'm trying out version 3 now, even though I thought I was done testing third-party firewalls. So far I'm liking it. For folks that need a better in-depth explanation of it's features, settings, etc., should look at the online documentation.

ec84cbb82040.png

Thanks for posting that, Andavari. Since my Sunbelt Firewall is only using 16MB, so think I'll stick with that.

Although seeing how little Sygate is using on these folk's machines, it kinda makes me want to go back to that!

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Anybody have any insight into the reason why Windows Media extender service wanted me to setup an XBox 360 when I didn't have one?

Keep in mind, it occurred while I had PC tools firewall installed - never happened before.

• Moderators
Anybody have any insight into the reason why Windows Media extender service wanted me to setup an XBox 360 when I didn't have one?

Keep in mind, it occurred while I had PC tools firewall installed - never happened before.

I'm not sure if this might explain it.

Media Center Extenders, such as an Xbox 360 console, use network ports to communicate over the network together with computers that are running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Sometimes a firewall that is running on the Windows Media Center-based computer will block Media Center Extender programs from using these ports.

The XBox 360 is a Media Center Extender, and tightening your Firewall settings probably blocked off the port/ports that are used for this type of feature. You may have triggered a built in warning about this feature not being available with your new Firewall settings.

Unless someone has a better explanation, I hope this helps.

Article:

Thanks for the information. It makes more sense, especially since I am on a college network. I just get paranoid sometimes after reading articles about rootkits, virut, etc, even though the odds are very low of getting infected with safe computing practices, emotions can win.