Flash BIOS

krit86lr

Okay, I have a stupid question about flashing a BIOS. The current revision is A05, and the latest BIOS update is A16. Do I have to apply all of the BIOS updates between A05 and A16 before using the A16 revision, or does it not matter? The readme.txt stated that it was a revision to A15 so it made me think that they all need to be applied in order. Does anyone know?

It's a Latitude D600 BIOS A05, and the Dell website keeps giving me the latest update of A16. I think it best to cover all of my bases before doing this because it's my first time doing it and all. :huh:

Maybe I need to hail Lokoike over here?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I once read that unless there was a problem with the BIOS it was better to leave it alone rather than flash the BIOS and create potential problems. Many upgrades are normally to address a specific problem (so I read) so if those problems don't exist it's best to leave alone.

To be honest, I'd feel uncomfortable flashing the BIOS, I'm convinced I'd make a mess of it and my computer would be unworkable. There is an update to my BIOS (in fact I think there may be 3 revisions from the version I have), which is about 2 years out of date now (the date showing is 10 October 2005, the last revision is from a few months ago) but my computer is stable and I don't feel comfortable upgrading.

• Moderators

Actually Robbie that's the advice many sites give, the ole "if it isn't broken don't fix it." It's always interesting how the PC manufacturer websites have you click an agreement box with the usual run of the mill copyright info and the infamous "we are not responsible if this nukes your computer."

Although in some cases a BIOS update is required to fix a very nagging or annoying problem.