Burning disks

craigathus

Hi all :rolleyes: , I'm not sure if this post should be in the Software Forum or Hardware Forum, so here it is in the Lounge :rolleyes:

OK so I want to backup about 1.5GB of picture files.

The way I see it I have two choices.

1: Use two CD-RW's

2: Use one DVD-RW

What is the best way? I want the best quality copies.

I've used CD-RW's plenty of times, however I've never used a DVD-RW

All helpful advice is appreciated B)

• Moderators

Depending upon how valuable and cherished those pictures are you may want to make two backup copies for paranoia's sake. However don't expect those discs to last a lifetime as such comments about discs are pure bulls**t, they can easily go bad without you ever using them so it's wise to keep those pictures on your hard disk too.

Hi Glenn & Andavari B)

I was under the assumption that CD/RW's were more physically durable than DVD/RW's, and CD/RW's have less errors?

I think I'm going to stay with CD/RW's, better the devil you know :D

Some durability comparison Test results

Thanks for the link Glenn :) , some very useful information.

Obviously any type of disk can in cure some degree of damage over time.

I just might give the DVD's a try :D

• Moderators

DVD's are more durable.

However as with any disc format you buy you need to find a good brand, but going by brand name alone isn't enough to not get crappy discs. Your best bet is to buy some Taiyo Yuden manufactured discs online.

Be leary of rock bottom supa-el-cheapo priced discs though. Stay the hell away from CMC ("Crappy Media Corporation") manufactured discs which you can typically tell if they are CMC's by the "Made in Taiwan" printing on the packaging. CMC manufactured discs are beyond horrible regardless of what they've been rebranded as such as; HP, Memorex, TDK, etc.

DVD's are more durable.

However as with any disc format you buy you need to find a good brand, but going by brand name alone isn't enough to not get crappy discs. Your best bet is to buy some Taiyo Yuden manufactured discs online.

Be leary of rock bottom supa-el-cheapo? priced discs though. Stay the hell away from CMC ("Crappy Media Corporation") manufactured discs which you can typically tell if they are CMC's by the "Made in Taiwan" printing on the packaging. CMC manufactured discs are beyond horrible regardless of what they've been rebranded as such as; HP, Memorex, TDK, etc.

Hi Andavari :rolleyes:

The only brand I have used is "Verbatim" and never had a problem with them.

• Moderators
The only brand I have used is "Verbatim" and never had a problem with them.

Mitsubishi Chemical of Japan makes those. They've generally been good and reported as such, however some people have had slow loading issues with their DataLife Plus blue CD-R's including me which is why I haven't bought a pack of them in years. They're Verbatim DVDs are good.

Mitsubishi Chemical of Japan makes those. They've generally been good and reported as such, however some people have had slow loading issues with their DataLife Plus blue CD-R's including me which is why I haven't bought a pack of them in years. They're Verbatim DVDs are good.

Once again thanks Andavari :D , I've put Verbatim DVD's on my shopping list :)

Glenn said he sets his burner at the lowest speed., is that the normal thing to do with DVD's?

I use slowest speed as a precaution for archiving irreplaceable data. A hardware tech told me that slower burn is more reliable but that was years ago. On the other hand, it probably can't hurt to go slow.

For stuff I'm copying to give away, I use the speed for which the discs are rated.

I use slowest speed as a precaution for archiving irreplaceable data. A hardware tech told me that slower burn is more reliable but that was years ago. On the other hand, it probably can't hurt to go slow.

For stuff I'm copying to give away, I use the speed for which the discs are rated.

Thanks Glenn B)

You & Andavari have been great help on this topic :)

Just in case Craig you decide to do any other things like this, a read here may give you a few thought to be going on with :)

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

Thanks hazelnut ;) , this forum "Piriform Forums" is my favorite place on the WWW

I've added "afterdawn.com/guides" to my favorites list :rolleyes:

• Moderators

The best burning speed relies upon your drive and the media you use, unfortunately it's far easier to find and buy horrible quality crappy media versus what's known to be good and reliable. I was thankful I could get Sony media at many stores locally, although I had an entire bad batch of Sony CD-R's in the last year which has reduced my confidence in them severely.

Using crappy media like CMC (whom I wish would die out, or at least be properly labeled as CMC in big crappy colours and crappy lettering) typically means you have to use slower speeds like 8X with CD-R to reduce errors, not sure about DVD's though. However even at the 8X speed with CMC CD-R's serious errors can go un-noticed and may even pass so-called "verification" by CD burning applications. A good way to find out how error prone some media is I've always used the freeware Nero CD/DVD Speed.

The best burning speed relies upon your drive and the media you use, unfortunately it's far easier to find and buy horrible quality crappy media versus what's known to be good and reliable. I was thankful I could get Sony media at many stores locally, although I had an entire bad batch of Sony CD-R's in the last year which has reduced my confidence in them severely.

Using crappy media like CMC (whom I wish would die out, or at least be properly labeled as CMC in big crappy colours and crappy lettering) typically means you have to use slower speeds like 8X with CD-R to reduce errors, not sure about DVD's though. However even at the 8X speed with CMC CD-R's serious errors can go un-noticed and may even pass so-called "verification" by CD burning applications. A good way to find out how error prone some media is I've always used the freeware Nero CD/DVD Speed.

Thanks Andavari :)

I've got "Nero SmartStart" a full set of applications including: Nero CD-DVD Speed, Nero DriveSpeed, Nero InfoTool B)