Fatal system error

JDPower

I've just gone and inadvertently killed my gf's laptop. Was running the ProcessIdleTasks command as part of my regular maintenance of it and it locked up leaving me no choice but to kill the power. Now when it turns on it gives a BSOD with a fatal system error. I assume as the IdleTask command rearranges the boot files the boot sequence has got corrupted.

Any suggestions on getting it running again without a reinstall (Its WinXP Home). She only has an OEM XP disc for it which only lets you reformat and reinstall (no repair install). I've got another OEM disc somewhere I'm gonna hunt out and try but any other suggestions greatly received (before I get hollered at for losing all her recent stuff that she hasn't backed up :rolleyes: )

this isn't the fastest or the best way of doing things but it might just work.

As you have access to the internet on your own computer, download and create a Live Linux Disk - I use Slax. This is ran at computer start (you need to manually change the BIOS settings to run the CD). You can then view all the files in Windows (XP or whatever) and - slowly it must be said - insert and email any documents that you need from the hard drive on your g/fs computer.

Slax runs directly from RAM and doesn't touch the hard drive, except if you navigate through to system folders etc

http://www.slax.org/download.php

Someone might have a better way of getting back your g/fs documents but in the meantime this may just work...

EDIT: I'm assuming you can still access the BIOS on your g/fs computer - if you can't then this won't work (if indeed it works at all anyway).

• Moderators
Btw, what maintenance is ProcessIdleTasks?

What does Process Idle Tasks do?

This command will force the OS to process all idle tasks. If your PC is never idle these tasks will never run. One of the tasks that Windows XP performs during idle times is the optimization of the files needed to start the OS. These files will be re-arranged on the disk and match the exact order they are loaded during startup. This list is in C:\Windows\Prefetch\Layout.ini.

You may end up having to buy your girlfriend lots of bunches of flowers JD :(

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Right, I have in the past managed a repair install from a slightly modified I386 folder. Now I just happen to have that on disc, is there any way to access this disc before the system tries to boot and run the repair install from that folder on the disc? (its BSODing at the Windows loading screen)