Holden on in the USA

Humpty

What a fantastic looking Aussie car, eh! ;)

CRUISING the streets of Detroit, this reincarnation of Australia's legendary FJ Holden was a show stopper at the annual Woodward Dream Cruise yesterday.

Voted North America's 2007 concept car of the year, the Efijy was the main attraction among the 40,000 muscle cars, street rods and custom vehicles tearing down Woodward Ave.

The Efijy, first revealed at Sydney's motor show in 2005 and which made its debut in the US this year, was chosen out of 33 contenders in July as the most likely to "shape the future" of the industry.

At an awards ceremony at the Automotive Hall of Fame, a panel of experts selected it ahead of custom cars costing millions of dollars to create.

With its plum soprano purple finish, the coupe was designed by Holden Australia for General Motors and borrows heavily from the 1953 FJ.

It was hand-built by a small group of Holden designers in their own time as an escape from the daily grind of producing the then-new Commodore.

They used components donated by suppliers and leftovers from other vehicles as a bit of fun, with no intention for it to go into production.

Article

Round headlights and an open mouth grille. lol But seriously, do they look alike? Not really. I can see a slight resemblance though. The new one is just that - new. Its's more modern, more streamlined. One can tell they modeled it after the old body style, even though the resemblance isn't that great.

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators

I had first seen a Holden AU/NZ which is a part of General General Motors Corporation in some Targa race on T.V., I think it was Targa New Zealand, and I thought it was rather impressive, and wished I had the money to do a Targa race. Then there were a bunch of them in an Austrailan V8 Supercars race shown on T.V. that were really fast for big sized cars being flung around the Adelaide race track in Australia.

The Holden Monaro has been on U.S. streets clothed/cloaked as a Pontiac GTO for the past few years, and even England has it as the Vauxhall Monaro.

Some good info there Andavari.

Notice the difference in horsepower between the different countries!

2004 Holden VZ Monaro - HP 349 hp @ 5600 rpm

2005 Vauxhall Monaro VXR - HP 400 hp

2004 Pontiac GTO Ram Air 6 - HP 575 hp @ 6800 rpm

• Moderators
Notice the difference in horsepower between the different countries!

That Pontiac GTO is a special version and was the only picture and version of the Monaro I could find, I don't think the normal GTO has that much power though and is more around 400 HP nowadays but was originally at around that 349 HP or 350 HP mark as the Holden when it was first released.

• Moderators
Then there were a bunch of them in an Austrailan V8 Supercars race shown on T.V. that were really fast for big sized cars being flung around the Adelaide race track in Australia.

That's where I've seen them, magic. Bookmarked that link, cheers.

I'm actually at that level in TOCA Race Driver 3. Lovely sound they make.

• Moderators
I'm actually at that level in TOCA Race Driver 3. Lovely sound they make.

There's one of the old Ford V8 Supercars in Gran Turismo A-Spec (not the newest game) which has a nice sound and is fast, but is a bit of a handful to keep on the track however it's fun to slide around.

• Moderators
Like all "Aussie" Australian V8 Supercars fans, I can't wait for Bathurst B)

The Bathurst 1000 is probably one of the most significant motorsport events ever.

A lot of years ago, and I mean a lot, UK TV covered it for the first time, and their eyes were opened as to what motor sport coverage could, and should be.

That was the first time I had ever seen a race from the drivers viewpoint. Cameras inside the cars. And I'm fairly sure that was the first time a lot of people had experienced that gob smacking camera work.

I've never forgotten that first Bathurst I saw a long time ago, and the coverage was unbelievable, but sadly, I haven't seen it for a long time.

One of the best racing spectacles on the planet.

The Bathurst 1000 is probably one of the most significant motorsport events ever.

A lot of years ago, and I mean a lot, UK TV covered it for the first time, and their eyes were opened as to what motor sport coverage could, and should be.

That was the first time I had ever seen a race from the drivers viewpoint. Cameras inside the cars. And I'm fairly sure that was the first time a lot of people had experienced that gob smacking camera work.

I've never forgotten that first Bathurst I saw a long time ago, and the coverage was unbelievable, but sadly, I haven't seen it for a long time.

One of the best racing spectacles on the planet.

Hi Dennis B)

It is the "ultimate" motor sport event in Australia each year.

I haven't been to see the race, however I have driven around the Mt Panorama circuit.

The Mt Panorama race circuit is a public road, and steeper and narrower than it looks on TV.