McAfee SiteAdvisor

Tom AZ

Make sure its not in add/remove programs. If not then you may have to manually go into your profile and delete it or even worse create a new one.

It should be in the add/remove programs. I had it for about 30 mins one day till I decided I had enough. The free version is a real pain with pop-ups asking you to purchase their software.

Make sure its not in add/remove programs. If not then you may have to manually go into your profile and delete it or even worse create a new one.

Thanks for the help. It was in add/remove programs -- which I did uninstall. I must have had multiple instances of the program because when I uninstalled it, it was still in Foxfire, but it corrected the issues that were giving me the headaches -- plus the Uninstall button is no longer grayed out in the Foxfire Tools menu. I don't know exactly what it did, but the uninstall process did something positive.

• Moderators

Tom, if you went to your tools/addons menu, although the uninstall button is greyed out, you can right click in the site advisor area, and the uninstall button is in the menu that appears.

I'm puzzled about uninstalling it because of pop ups. I've got the free version, and I don't get any pop ups.

This subject came up some time ago on here about Site Advisor showing a nag screen before taking you to it's site to check out an address, but apparently it only happened about once a month or something, although it dosen't happen at all now.

I've tried a forum search, but can't find those posts.

Maybe JDPower, rridgely or Andavari may remember, because it was p*****g every one off until JD pointed out that it wasn't permanent.

Sorry I can't give any more details than that, but I'm definitely puzzled about the pop ups, as this is a pretty valuable guide to a sites integrity, albeit just a guide.

I've never had any kind of popup from McAfee SiteAdvisor either :huh:

Maybe JDPower, rridgely or Andavari may remember, because it was p*****g every one off until JD pointed out that it wasn't permanent.
To stop seeing the nag screen when checking the site details you just need to keep the cookie on your system, just move the SiteAdvisor cookie to the cookies to keep box in CCleaner (or any other cleaner you use).

I've never had popups either, a nag screen now and then with a "No thank you" link to continue to the report.

If you keep the cookie from being cleaned you won't see the nag screen at all (I've not seen it for months now)

Tom, if you went to your tools/addons menu, although the uninstall button is greyed out, you can right click in the site advisor area, and the uninstall button is in the menu that appears.

I'm puzzled about uninstalling it because of pop ups. I've got the free version, and I don't get any pop ups.

This subject came up some time ago on here about Site Advisor showing a nag screen before taking you to it's site to check out an address, but apparently it only happened about once a month or something, although it dosen't happen at all now.

I've tried a forum search, but can't find those posts.

Sorry I can't give any more details than that, but I'm definitely puzzled about the pop ups, as this is a pretty valuable guide to a sites integrity, albeit just a guide.

Do you really find SiteAdvisor to be useful?

I do, it is especially if you go searching for new programs to try, or googling an error.

If I see a red X I will check into why it was rated red and decide from there wither I'll try their software,

or visit the site.

Occasionally a site is rated red for silly reasons, like using a visitor counter that happens to be use

by malicious sites.

So a big green yes from me.

fireryone

Do you really find SiteAdvisor to be useful?

Yes, very. To the point where on the rare occasion I have to use another browser I sometimes find myself looking for the colour of the status bar icon or looking for the tick or cross in search results.

• Moderators

A big yes from me as well.

I've often come across "freeware" sites for example, where the downloads are really suspect because of attached adware, spyware or whatever.

And of course, as far as I'm aware, there isn't anything better.

It isn't always right, as mentioned by firery, but as they say, "forewarned is forearmed".

I should have used the word 'nag screen', it would have been a more accurate term as opposed to pop-up. What it would do is ask (via nag screen) if you wanted to purchase the pro version or something to that effect. It was very difficult to look at the stats of a particular site that it would object to without clicking the nag screen and having it take you to mcafee's website.

After having the adviser for a short period of time, I realized it was pointless for me to have it, because it served no purpose as far as my style of browsing goes. I don't want something 'warning' me left and right about which sites I'm accessing, and as a result, making me click something to proceed. That's the whole REASON I have a anti-virus, spyware, and a firewall program for Christ sake! If I happen to get something i.e. spyware, doesn't matter because it will soon be removed anyway. So perhaps I'm taking chances with other virus risks, OK, wouldn't be the first time, and I'm convinced it won't be the last.

The point is, I like the 'freedom' to choose my own path and deal with the results myself, without a damn cuckoo clock going off every five minutes. :)

• Moderators
The point is, I like the 'freedom' to choose my own path and deal with the results myself, without a damn cuckoo clock going off every five minutes. :)

Even if you never visit the SiteAdvisor website to further investigate a website it can keep you from entering a rogue website.

I know it's kept me away from dozens upon dozens of rogue/adware websites just doing a simple Google search for anything. Almost everything we search for is going to have a rogue counterpart.

SA only adds a icon next to the link.

If you choose to go there, there is no further warning.

The only "click to proceed" is if you want to view the site report and haven't saved the cookie.

fireryone