Nice review of many defrag utilities

BrownSugar

This is the entire review:

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/0...ootout-all.html

Link to review of JKdefrag

Every now and then you come across a program that is so blindingly brilliant in its sheer simplicity that it takes you completely by surprise. JkDefrag v3.8 is one of those programs.

He also makes reference to something I commented on (regarding the version numbering):

Version numbering may be a bit confusing: 3.8 was followed by 3.9, 3.10, 3.11 and so on. So 3.8 should really be 3.08.

It kind of boils down to the "horses for courses" mentality. What works well for one is a disater for another. I use diskeeper and I couldn't relate to any of the problems the blogger was refering to, but I'm not saying they didn't occur.

As for the other defrag programs, if they work for you thats fine by me. Software reviews are like film reviews - it is one mans opinions - you have to see the film yourself to make any sort of judgement as to whether its good or bad.

I am happy with my lot :rolleyes:

• Moderators

Interesting reading, that website is very good!

I knew that Auslogics Disk Defrag didn't defrag all that good hence it's super fast speed which is why I stopped using it a long time ago, realizing that even the Windows Disk Defragmenter was even better and more thorough. His review of it's failings also prove that.

His site is so good that I bookmarked his main site which is located at:

http://claimid.com/donnedwards

• Moderators
What works well for one is a disater for another.

That's true in both computers/software and even food - some folks can shovel down all the food in sight and not gain any weight, however others doing the same become fat attempting it.

• Moderators

That's a really nice find BrownSugar. Very Educational.

I've been a fan of Auslogics for a while, but to be honest, probably because it presents a really nice face to the world, and it sounds like it's treating the drive with a gentler touch.

Don't laugh, it's surprising the things that influence our decisions short of knowing any better.

But like probably the majority of folk on here, I'm also a big fan of JKDefrag.

Now I know why.

:)

Edit: Also bookmarked the site.

Glad to hear you all enjoyed the link. I bookmarked the site immediately as well. The guy really gives an insightful review of the programs and it's a pleasure to not have to click through 4 pages of ads and links that other review sites have (PC Mag for one. Between Firefox, my HOSTS file, and Zone Alarm, there's so much blocking of popups, ads, scripts, and links going on that sites like CNET and PCmag take much longer to load).

As for JkDefrag, the moment I saw a link to Mr. Kessel's cats, I knew he was a caring programmer. It seems like some of the best free software is written by programmers who have pages dedicated to their pet cats.

• Moderators
As for JkDefrag, the moment I saw a link to Mr. Kessel's cats, I knew he was a caring programmer. It seems like some of the best free software is written by programmers who have pages dedicated to their pet cats.

You must be related to Lulu. :rolleyes: