Need Reg Mechanic 5.1 download or installer

JDPower

Just had to do an unexpected reformat (after the supposedly now safe Eraser killed Windows dead) and found I don't have a backup of the Reg Mechanic 5.1 installer - the one that was given away free from VNU net (I've still got the registration details).

Anyone know a download site or got a backup of the installer they wouldn't mind sending to me please :(

• Moderators
Just had to do an unexpected reformat (after the supposedly now safe Eraser killed Windows dead)

That must have been a bit of a blow. Do you have any idea of what may have happened?

Nice to see you up and running again :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Huge thanks to RRidgely who has sent me the installer, felt lost without my only trusted reg cleaner to clean up after the reinstall. Top bloke ;)

That must have been a bit of a blow. Do you have any idea of what may have happened?

Yes, it was Eraser. I've always avoided using its 'first and last two bytes' erase method purely because it was killing peoples computer if used to erase empty space when version 5.8 first came out. They removed the option to clean free space with that method (but left in in for normal erasing) and its supposed to be safe now.

I had a load of large Photoshop files to erase so used the 'first and last two bytes' to save time. Restarted the computer and was met with the heart breaking message "Operating system missing..."!!! :(

Luckily, despite not finding a backup program I like for regular use, I did have about 70% of important stuff backed up. Just had to spend the best part of three days reinstalling and setting stuff back up.

I shall be posting my annoyance on the Eraser forums soon ;)