Do I have a Security Issue ?

craigathus

Is it Ok to uncheck and or uninstall (Client for Microsoft Networks) & (File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks)? :blink: in the dialog box for "Local Area Connections"

I recently read somewhere that these two components were not needed unless a computer was in a LAN setup, not! Internet.

What about (Qo S Packet Scheduler) & (Internet Protocol-TCP/IP)" also in the same dialog box?

All helpful replies welcome :rolleyes:

I have (File and Printer Sharing) blocked in Windows Firewall Exceptions list.

I would take Rridgely's advice and just disable if your not confident.

You can uninstall the first three but leave Internet Protocol-TCP/IP.

Uninstalling those three will result in no workstation service which isn't needed on a standalone pc.

I usually uninstall the first three at XP setup with no probs.

Even after an uninstall they can be reinstalled through add/remove windows components which will ask for the xp cd.

I would take Rridgely's advice and just disable if your not confident.

You can uninstall the first three but leave Internet Protocol-TCP/IP.

Uninstalling those three will result in no workstation service which isn't needed on a standalone pc.

I usually uninstall the first three at XP setup with no probs.

Even after an uninstall they can be reinstalled through add/remove windows components which will ask for the xp cd.

Thanks Humpty & rridgely :rolleyes:

I'm not using Windows Firewall anymore, got a real one "ZoneAlarm" :rolleyes:

Had some minor hiccups :blink: to start with, but after uninstalling and then reinstalling ZA works like a treat ;) passed "Leak Test" no problem.

I'll just un check the first three listing in "Local Area Connection" dialog box, I wont uninstall them, and leave "Internet Protocol-TCP/IP" checked.

Thanks guys...Humpty&Rridgely, sounds like a TV drama series :lol:

• Moderators

Well with zone alarm you didn't get a real firewall you just got a read headache. :P (I would use the windows firewall before ZA. Its gotten too bloated and too buggy) If you want a real firewall go buy a cheap router($20-30). That will keep your pc protected and won't slow it down any or cause any frustration. :D

Yes rridgely is right the best thing i ever done was buy a router with a built in firewall as it seems to keep me very well protected and now i only use the windows firewall.

craigathus i have read a bit about them and it is fine to uncheck all but the Internet Protocol-TCP/IP as you do need that but like the others said do not uninstall them but instead uncheck them as you may find that they are need later on. I think that the QoS Packet Scheduler uses up around 10% of your bandwidth and it is useful if you're using apps which are QoS-aware or running a server, so you can gain some network overhead back by unchecking it.

The File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks component allows other computers on a network to access resources on your computer by using a Microsoft network so i don't think that one is really needed and the Client for Microsoft Networks component allows a computer to access resources on a Microsoft network

Well with zone alarm you didn't get a real firewall you just got a read headache. :P (I would use the windows firewall before ZA. Its gotten too bloated and too buggy) If you want a real firewall go buy a cheap router($20-30). That will keep your pc protected and won't slow it down any or cause any frustration. :D

Hi rridgely :rolleyes:

Yep, I've put up with it long enough! <_< the pop-up warnings are starting to drive me CRAZY :angry: ZA just got the flick, using Windows Firewall again.

If I do get a router, does it go between my "broadband modem" and my "Ethernet-network adapter"?

Or ADSL>>>router>>>broadband modem>>>Ethernet-network adapter?

I believe the pattern is ADSL>>>Broadband Modem>>>Router>>>Network Adapter

and ADSL>>>Broadband Modem>>>Network Adapter if the router is absent

Thanks Tunerz ;) I thought it went like that.

• Moderators

Yeah it goes from your wall to the modem and from the modem to the router. Then from the router you can go wired or wireless to your computer(s).

Keep in mind that if you get a router you may decide later on down the road you will want a laptop or second computer or something. If you disable those services then you wont be able to share your printer, ect.

Yeah it goes from your wall to the modem and from the modem to the router. Then from the router you can go wired or wireless to your computer(s).

Keep in mind that if you get a router you may decide later on down the road you will want a laptop or second computer or something. If you disable those services then you wont be able to share your printer, ect.

Like the Workstation Service perhaps? :lol: