The Slow Death of AV Technology

Humpty

I know I am biassed and I don't completely agree with the article below as there are also sandboxing/virtualisaton/snapshot apps that are quite effective.

The Slow Death of AV Technology

AV technology is gradually dying and being replaced by far more effective IT security technology based on whitelisting. You could view this as an inevitable development, given the horrible inadequacies of AV technology, or you might want to pin the credit on the AVID (AntiVirus Is Dead) campaign which has repeatedly drawn attention to the inadequacy of AV technology and championed whitelisting technology that actually works. Actually it doesn't matter much either way. It's happening.

IT Analysis article

• Moderators

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm all for a safer computing environment but in order for this technology to truly take over they are going to need some improvements. Having vista be manageable when running from a non admin account was a big step in the right direction.(not that its fully secure or anything.. but its a start)

Snapshot programs like norton ghost where never meant to be used as a security solution. They are intended to prevent data loss if windows was to become corrupted or something. Sure they can be used to roll back to avoid having to clean up a virus infection as well but people are better off not having to roll back just because of a virus.

None of these solutions are ever going to be 100% effective though. There is a vast number of people out there who from the time they buy their computer never install a single security program or download a single update. Eventually computers are going to be able to just do all of this stuff on there own(they already can but they have to be set up too) and then a lot of this virus junk could be stomped out.

Snapshot programs like norton ghost where never meant to be used as a security solution.

Geez rridgely we really don't see eye to eye in these things and I'm not trying to be a know it all.

I deliberately left imaging out of my first post as I agree that ghost wasn't really made for security but can and does work as such.

Referring to snapshots I was sorta meaning FDISR which is a very good app going on Wilders discussions but the killdisk virus will still ruin it along with any AV installed.

Sandboxie and Powershadow protect asgainst it!

Sandboxie + killdisk

Might add that Peter2150 is a moderator at Wilders and a bit of an expert on FDISR.

Anyway, that's what forums are about, advice, help and discussing different views! :)

Shouldn't be Microsoft know more about the security of their OS since they're the one making it? So it means that most people from Microsoft only know on making the OS and not thinking much of their products?

Looks like Microsoft's strategy is "buy and forget", buy a security company and forget the exploits and possible malware.

I look forward of the future of Microsoft's line of OSes :lol:

• Moderators
Shouldn't be Microsoft know more about the security of their OS since they're the one making it? So it means that most people from Microsoft only know on making the OS and not thinking much of their products?

You would think that they would be able to secure/make the best security products ever...

But then they churn out useless garbage like one care. :rolleyes:

I've said it all along. MS could drastically cut down on all of this virus junk if they would buy a decent security company and offer the programs for free but leave their own programmers out of it. This would never fly though because thats not how MS does things. When they buy software companies they have to make things "better" which really just means useless. :P

• Moderators
You would think that they would be able to secure/make the best security products ever...

Actually they do initially :lol: , until someone finds one exploit after another that has to be patched one patch after another.

:D I seldom agree with rridgely's opines, but on this thread I am with you 100%. As for sandboxie and the likes it will never appeal to the majority of users. IMHO

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators
:D I seldom agree with rridgely's opines, but on this thread I am with you 100%. As for sandboxie and the likes it will never appeal to the majority of users. IMHO

I also agree. Also the majority of users have av on the brain so they'd probably ignore sanboxing software altogether without even trying it out because it doesn't have antivirus in the name. :rolleyes:

It sort of reminds me of MP3 versus every other format under the sun, no matter what downfalls MP3 has it's here to stay for a long time.

Some or most people are still in the middle ages in securing their computer, not bothering the new generation of computer security. Probably common signature-based anti-malware are a lot friendlier and can be "set and forget" so people prefer that choice.

I kinda start to like Sandboxie, after common usage I see its importance of the new breed of security software... and it's fun of having a temporary "hard drive" :lol: