PC is Sluggish

mfenech

I had to have my Win2000 reinstalled and took the opportunity to have my original hard drive replaced. So the 20G drive was made a slave drive and in went an 80G drive. This was all done at a shop since I had lost my W2k disk a while back.

Since all this happened, the PC has been running sluggish at times. Windows seems to start up normally, but applications take several seconds to open when before they would open instantly. Firefox's memory leak is especially bad now (may be a different issue). I've more or less set up the PC as it was before with the same applications and configurations.

Any idea what may be going on? I thought the new hard drive would show a marked improvement in performance but I haven't noticed anything.

Thanks.

Here is a HJT log, in case it would be helpful:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)

Scan saved at 2:54:25 PM, on 5/31/2007

Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe

C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe

C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe

C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe

C:\Program Files\MailWasher\MailWasher.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\Desktop\Test Programs\HiJackThis_v2.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll

O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [^SetupICWDesktop] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\icwconn1.exe /desktop (User 'Default user')

O4 - Startup: MailWasherPro.lnk = C:\Program Files\MailWasher\MailWasher.exe

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...b?1180280167784

O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...b?1180280159572

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F01D2692-34AE-4D7D-8004-45BD4E34917F}: NameServer = xx.xx.xxx.x,xx.xx.xxx.x

O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINNT\system32\browseui.dll

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINNT\system32\browseui.dll

O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe

O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe

O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe

--

1. How much ram do you have (less than 512MB or 1GB plus)?

2. Did you modify this line to remove the ip addresses "O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F01D2692-34AE-4D7D-8004-45BD4E34917F}: NameServer = xx.xx.xxx.x,xx.xx.xxx.x" ?

3. If you have less than 512 you should buy more

4. Decide if you need all those processes running, kill what you dont.

5. Run the various online virus scanners (I've gone blank, can only remember two Panda and Symantic have one, last i checked).

6. Run memory and hard drive testing programs to rule out them being a problem. (Try the MemTest/86) and (HDTune)

Don't forget to run CCleaner (Cleaner and Issues x3)

fireryone

Hardware Specs:

Intel P4, 1.3 GHz, 512MB SDRAM

CDROM: LG CD-ROM CRD-8482B

CDROM: LG CD-RW CED-8120B

C Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST3802110A 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache Ultra ATA

D Drive: Maxtor 5T020H2 20GB 7200RPM 2MB Cache ATA/100 IDE

Graphics: ATI RADEON 7200 Series

Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

NIC: 3Com 3C920

C Drive was replaced 10 days ago.

1. How much ram do you have (less than 512MB or 1GB plus)?

2. Did you modify this line to remove the ip addresses "O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F01D2692-34AE-4D7D-8004-45BD4E34917F}: NameServer = xx.xx.xxx.x,xx.xx.xxx.x" ?

3. If you have less than 512 you should buy more

4. Decide if you need all those processes running, kill what you dont.

5. Run the various online virus scanners (I've gone blank, can only remember two Panda and Symantic have one, last i checked).

6. Run memory and hard drive testing programs to rule out them being a problem. (Try the MemTest/86) and (HDTune)

Don't forget to run CCleaner (Cleaner and Issues x3)

1. 512

2. Yes

4. I need all that I recognize on there.

6. Did hdtune - Benchmark matched the sample for the same drive on their site, Health and Error Scan were clean.

I run CCleaner daily. :)

This pertains to XP but 2000 may have the same setting?

Open my computer - tools - folder options - View tab and untick the first entry, "Automatically search for...", Apply and OK out of there and see if it helps.

• Moderators

Its possible that maybe this new drive isn't as good as your old one.

You could try defragging to see if that helps but considering its a new drive I doubt it will.

Your system seems more then capable to run the stuff that your running. How much ram does your task manager say your using?

You could see what pc pit stop says.

http://pcpitstop.com/

Snapshot of Task Manager: Total 523344, Available 186556, Sys Cache 232088

I did run PC Pitstop before I posted about this. Aside from a few IE security settings it flagged (I use FF), everything passed.

I defrag'd early this week.

• Moderators

After a little googling have a couple of ideas but mfenech, I have no idea if they will solve your problem.

1. In device manager settings look in ide atapi controllers and make sure by right clicking on the primary and secondary properties (advanced) that they are NOT set to poi mode.

2. reset cmos to default in bios ( I'm sure someone like fireyone may have a lot more idea about this than me)

Also does the event viewer list any errors.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

2. reset cmos to default in bios ( I'm sure someone like fireyone may have a lot more idea about this than me)

If you want to get into the bios setup:

While booting your computer(cold boot), keep an eye on the screen and it should say:

"Press Del to enter setup" It may use a different key like "Esc" "F2" but it should tell you.

Press the combination,

Once in, browse around (not changing anything) the menus,

look for an option "set bios to defaults and save and exit" or something similar.

Usually this is on the last tab or almost the last option

(if you are displayed a single menu and no tabs)

If you can't find it press "Esc" and that might bring up the options.

::edit::

I found some more key combinations here:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

Edited by fireryone

fireryone

Miss hazelnut,

I changed the controller settings. No difference.

fire,

The setup access is F2 in my case (Dell Dimension 8100) but "set bios to defaults" isn't listed anywhere.