We have 'move to end of disk' but what about 'move to front of disk'?

Special

The ability to "move end of a disk" is great for storing archives and whatever things that arn't hugely important for quick read access, but there is currently no way to undo the 'move to end of disk' if they are already there and not fragmented, I really hope we can get a 'move to front of disk' option added that will put things back in the quicker read part of the HD.

• Moderators

+1

the ability to choose where an individual file, group of files, folder or category of files go has been suggested may times on various threads.

all you can hope for @Special is enough people agree with a suggestion and the Dev Team deem it worthy of implementing. (just don't hold your breathe)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

but there is currently no way to undo the 'move to end of disk' if they are already there and not fragmented

Why not copy the file, which hopefully will appear anywhere other than at "end of disk",

and then delete the original file and rename the file copy with the original name.

Why not copy the file, which hopefully will appear anywhere other than at "end of disk",

and then delete the original file and rename the file copy with the original name.

This might technicially be a work-a-around but it's also quite rediculous to have to do. I really hope this is something the devs will add and add soon, it's sorely missing.

• Moderators

Alan, you argued your point allow other users to sound off about this suggestion

@Special the developers read all threads (though rarely will they make their presence known) and often implement viable suggestions. on their behalf thank you for your usage and improvement ideas.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Special, there's a way to do it, I've used it in the past to shrink C: drive in order to install a second operating system when the Windows Partition Manager won't let me go far enough. Install the portable version of Mini Tool Partition Wizard to a USB thumb drive. It's the only partitioning software I know of that allows you to resize a partition while maintaining the integrity of it's data. You won't exactly be moving the data at the end of the partition all the way to the front, just towards the front, and you'll have to defragment when you're done since it doesn't move the data in an orderly manner. Don't try to go too far when resizing, I use 2x as rule: if there's 50GB of data, don't go any less than 100GB for the partition's new size. When you're done, you can bring the partition back to it's original size with either Windows Partition Manager or Partition Wizard.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

it'll get the job done, not too sure about the practicality of it though.

not only does it require a few steps (albeit each one reasonably simple), I just think there is potential for a novice to screw it up somehow.

so much simpler if DF could have a 'move these files to start/middle/end of drive'.

oh well, one day perhaps...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I'll be the first to admit it: it's not a quick way to do it, nor is it easy. And anytime someone uses partitioning software carelessly there is a potential for disaster. But if you absolutely, positively have to shrink a partition and preserve the data on it, it's the only way I know.

But if you absolutely, positively have to shrink a partition and preserve the data on it, it's the only way I know.

A much safer and easier solution is to make a Macrium Reflect Partition image backup,

and to use options available for shrink to a smaller size when restoring that image.

These options have existed for a long time in the purchased version

and may by now be available in the Free Version.

Thanks Alan. I wasn't aware of that feature when using Macrium. In my case I wanted to shrink the 900GB+ factory partition down to 200GB and the Windows Partition Manager refused to go any lower than 380GB or so. The next time I use Macrium I'll see what it can do.