Why won't Opera work?

DennisD

• Moderators

Starting a new thread on this because it is definitely gonna be my last attempt at getting Opera to work with my broadband connection. This is just slightly doing my head in. <_<

When I first joined this forum, Opera was one of the first new programs I tried. No problems, just downloaded, installed and ran it.

Since then, very little has changed. I have the same ISP, the same pc, the same ADSL USB modem, just about the same everything.

The only thing that I have changed recently, is my antivirus and firewall, which is Avast Home Edition and Windows Firewall. But I'm sure I tried Opera before I changed these.

The only other thing different is the version of Opera. But I have tried every version I can find on their home pages, with no joy.

I've also placed Opera.exe in the firewall exceptions list.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the message I get each time, and the Opera prefs screen.

OperaErrorPage.jpg.xs.jpg OperaPrefs.jpg.xs.jpg

I've changed the home page address a few times to my usual homepage, the forum address etc. None of them make any difference.

I do not have any type of proxy server enabled, as I have a direct connection to the internet and everything else works just fine, although I've tried checking and unchecking just about every box in prefs until I was dizzy. :blink:

If any of you guys can solve this, I will put you on my Christmas card list for sure.

:)

• Moderators
So when this problem with Opera started? Does it started when you installed new version of Opera?

Disable Avast and Windows firewall to see if that helps.

Started maybe a couple of months ago when quite a few people were having trouble accessing and moving around the forum with Firefox.

Thought I'd give Opera another try for a while.

Will log off now, and try your suggestion of disabling.

• Moderators

Uninstall opera, then delete the folder in C:\program files and C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data.(you will need to enable hidden files and folders to get rid of the second one.) Then reinstall opera and see if it works. :)

• Moderators

Hey, I've got all the cavalry coming to the rescue. Excellent.

So there's no matter what url you type, always no connection?

You said that you don't use proxy, but try to use some proxy. Also disable "Server name completion".

Any URL, no connection. Will try disabling "SNC"

Uninstall opera, then delete the folder in C:\program files and C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data.(you will need to enable hidden files and folders to get rid of the second one.) Then reinstall opera and see if it works. :)

That's a new one. Will give it a try.

In addition to what rridgely suggested, I would also run CCleaner Issues before installing Opera again.

Okey Dokey, will do that as well.

Thanks guys, will let you know.

:)

• Moderators

Thanks guys.

I've tried every suggestion you've suggested. (That doesn't sound right, but what the hell).

The only way I can get Opera to work is to connect to my broadband with another browser, and then launch Opera.

Could that be another clue as to why it's sitting there laughing at my, (or should I say our), futile attempts to kick it into action.

You know, I'm starting to hate this browser, but it's driving me mad not knowing why it just refuses to do its thing.

Yesterday I downloaded the latest version, but exactly the same result, so for want of any new suggestions I think it's probably time to give up.

If only I could get this image out of my head of a little Opera Gremlin with a smirk on his face chanting "that'll teach you to use Firefox...that'll teach you to use Firefox...that'll teach you to use Firefox..."

You know, I could take this little guy over to the Opera forum and see what they make of him. :P

• Moderators
Try setting Opera as the default browser through "Program Access and Defaults" to see what happens.

Quite easy to change it back if no joy.

Tried that Humpty, as well as making IE7 the default browser just in case its connection was based on IE7s prefs. <_<

But thanks all the same.

• Moderators

Hey, it is possible to be in two places at once.

One leg in here and the other in the Opera Forum, and there appears to be a few problems with Opera. In particular the latest couple of versions.

A few people are having exactly the same problem as me, and I've already tried a few "opera:config" suggestions, and guess what.

Yep. Nada, zilch, no joy. But I ain't giving up yet. There must be a fix because it's affecting more than me.

If there is, I'll pass it on.