Playstation 3 gets a downgrade for Europe and Australia

JDPower

• Moderators

I don't get what the big deal is as long as the ps2 games still play correctly.

From my understanding they were basically including the ps2's hardware inside of the ps3 to give backwards compatibility. If they can do it with software instead and it works, who cares?

I don't get what the big deal is as long as the ps2 games still play correctly.

From my understanding they were basically including the ps2's hardware inside of the ps3 to give backwards compatibility. If they can do it with software instead and it works, who cares?

But it doesn't work, thats the problem. They've gone from 98% backwards compatibility using the PS2 chip to, in their own words, "limited" PS2 compatibility using the software.

• Moderators

I'd actually be all for it if it were to cut the cost by $100, $200, or more and if they do it in the U.S. it wouldn't bother me one bit when I decide to buy a PS3 because I own a PS2.

I don't see why it has to be backwards compatible to begin with, and that way of marketing a console only started with the PS2 "if I remember correctly" - I surely don't remember in the past (pre-PS2) of any console out-of-the-box being able to play it's predecessors games.

Anyway when Sony has enough PS3 games one might not want to go back to an old game, as I strongly remember after playing PS2 games for awhile it was impossible from me to play my old PSone games due to them looking and sounding so awful.

• Moderators

Still got my original Playstation, and a stack of games.

Tempted to wipe the cobwebs off it, and run the classic Tombraiders again. PS2 Tombraiders just didn`t hit the spot with me.

Prefer the Playstation originals, and once you get back into games like that, you tend not notice the difference in the graphics.

:)

A good game will still be good despite the graphics, others just don't stack up after you have seen better, which most fall into this category. :( Awesome graphics over a well made storyline and a bug free game.

fireryone

• Moderators
A good game will still be good despite the graphics, others just don't stack up after you have seen better, which most fall into this category. :( Awesome graphics over a well made storyline and a bug free game.

Agreed! I remember Final Fantasy 3 (Final Fantasy 6 in Japan) when it came out on SNES. The amount of time I played that game would have probably caused a modern disc drive console to wear out due to the wear and tear.

Still got my original Playstation, and a stack of games.

Tempted to wipe the cobwebs off it, and run the classic Tombraiders again. PS2 Tombraiders just didn`t hit the spot with me.

You'll probably be looking forward to the next Tonb Raider game then, Tomb Raider Anniversary, which is a PS2 remake of the first game.

• Moderators

No it wont be. Its going to use some of the same environements but not be the same game. Reason for that is in the last tomb raider they added lots of cool stuff like a grapeling hook and a new targeting system. That was the first tomb raider since 2 that wasn't crappy. :P