Chav

DennisD

• Moderators

An English term describing the youth culture that forms the bedrock of our modern democratic and free thinking society.

These stalwarts of sophistication and tolerance must have their equivalents in other parts of the world.

Would be interesting to learn the various descriptive names and modes of dress attributed to this culture in your little corner of the globe.

See Urban Dictionary: Chav

I was particularly taken by their "most desired" mode of transport. See picture #30 in above guide.

Please follow links in text for more valuable information.

:)

My kids are always calling each other chavs, they use it as a means of insulting, because they know they are nothing like a "typical chav".

But then, what is a "typical chav"?

Are they similar to "Hoodies"?

My kids wear hoodies but cannot be classed the same as the kids that wear hoodies and cause trouble.

Nowadays fashion is not only dictating how kids should look, but how they should be interpreted, which I believe is quite sad. Not all kids dressed the same, act the same.

When the Bluewater shopping mall in Kent banned hoodies, I encouraged my kids to wear them there, and even considered getting one myself. People should not be banned from somewhere because of the way they dress.

Fashion should not be allowed to dictate the behaviour of someone, my kids have worn burberry, had burberry bags, they have worn tracksuits, they have worn caps, they like their bling, but they are in no way bad. They are the best kids in the world (to a certain extent), and any parent would be proud to have them as their own.

Society is going downhill by creating labels for kids which other kids then think they have to live up to.

I'm confused...

So a chav is a name to basically describe kids that are thugs?

Not really. Really poor dress sense (usually involving baseball caps, sportswear, cheap jewellery and anything Burberry) and not enough brain cells to realise are definite requirements. Usually boy racers in dodgy cars too.

Not really. Really poor dress sense (usually involving baseball caps, sportswear, cheap jewellery and anything Burberry) and not enough brain cells to realise are definite requirements. Usually boy racers in dodgy cars too.

Another fine example, thanks JD.

Create a label such as boy racer, then all the kids want to be one.

What do you class as dodgy cars though?

The kids nowadays drive better cars than I do. They just seem to want to add neon lights everywhere such as underneath or where the washer squirters are. I don't seem to see a lot of kids driving older cars then modding them like they used to.

Another fine example, thanks JD.

Create a label such as boy racer, then all the kids want to be one.

Oh come on, are you seriously saying that using a derogotary term makes kids want to be that. I could just as easily label them braindead t**ts, by your logic all the kids would go 'Yeah I want to be a braindead t**t too'. Of the kids I know they REALLY don't want to be chavs because its a negative thing.

As for what do I consider dodgy cars, basically any car that they spend all their time bolting cheap bits of plastic onto.

• Moderators
I'm not really sure what a good way to describe them would be...

rridgely to the rescue with a pictorial translation for us in the U.S. :lol:

There's kids that dress like that in the U.S., I remember some kids that dressed like that back when I was in middle school and high school and that's been a long time ago 18-25 years. Honestly though since most people (kids and adults) that are out and about doing their business are dressed so casually I never had one thought about it.

The only thing though even if a person has a very high I.Q. people will still judge them for what they're wearing, or what they look like - unavoidable really since prejudice won't ever go away.

• Moderators
My kids are always calling each other chavs, they use it as a means of insulting, because they know they are nothing like a "typical chav".

Well, the subject has certainly engendered some healthy discussion, and I unreservedly apologise if I have caused any offence to you or your family CaPMan.

There are good and bad examples in every youth culture, but in this instance the bad is without doubt in the majority. Which is probably why your kids use it as a "friendly" insult.

The kids seen running away from my 3 week old Mazda6 2 nights ago, after running something sharp and metallic down the side, were hooded, white tracksuit wearing chavs. And the description given to the police was, as you can imagine, pretty useless.

That incident was actually the motivation for this topic.

rridgely, where did you get that pic? Did you draw it yourself ? I might print that out and take it down to the local nick. (police station).

Tell them thats who did my car.

rridgely, where did you get that pic? Did you draw it yourself ? I might print that out and take it down to the local nick. (police station).

Tell them thats who did my car.

:lol: He got it from my wikipedia link.

@ Andavari, the thing with chavs over here is that they seem to regard ignorance and stupidity as something to be aspired to. Almost like badges of honour.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

Don't think we have that "chav" saying here in Oz.Will ask my kids next time I see them.

Hmmn,might call my mate Pete the pom a chav and see how he reacts. :P

He's been in Oz for quite a few years now so maybe he won't know the meaning. :unsure:

Will just have to tell him then,won't I. ;)

Hmmn,might call my mate Pete the pom a chav and see how he reacts. :P

:lol::lol::lol:

Be careful he might poke you in the eye. :P

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

Oh come on, are you seriously saying that using a derogotary term makes kids want to be that. I could just as easily label them braindead t**ts, by your logic all the kids would go 'Yeah I want to be a braindead t**t too'. Of the kids I know they REALLY don't want to be chavs because its a negative thing.

As for what do I consider dodgy cars, basically any car that they spend all their time bolting cheap bits of plastic onto.

I was not saying that using a derogatory term makes a kid want to be that, I was saying using a term that might sound cool to kids, and the behaviour of said kids, will make other kids want to be that.

That said, I am sure there are some kids out there that would want to be a braindead t**t, if there was a a group of misfits out there labeled as such.

Kids who are willing to spend their time bolting pieces of cheap plastic on to their cars is not a bad thing, at least they are learning something in the process, and are not on the streets causing trouble.

Well, the subject has certainly engendered some healthy discussion, and I unreservedly apologise if I have caused any offence to you or your family CaPMan.

The kids seen running away from my 3 week old Mazda6 2 nights ago, after running something sharp and metallic down the side, were hooded, white tracksuit wearing chavs.

No apology needed DennisD.

I guess the kids that done the damage to your car could fall into the "braindead t**t" category. :)

9,100 results! Wow.

14,200 if you turn off SafeSearch. ;)