AVG Free update issues while using PC Toos Firewall +

David_L

I posted this on the AVG Free forum as well as the PC Tools forum, but thought I'd also post it here to see if y'all have any ideas.

I use AVG Free version 7.5 anti-virus software and I've noticed that after I installed the PC Tools Firewall Plus that now when I'm in AVG's Test Center if I click on the "Check For Updates" button I get an AVG error message saying the update server connection failed and it tells me to make sure I'm connected to the internet and to make sure my firewall is allowing AVGINET.EXE. I am connected via my DSL and AVGINET.EXE is included in the Firewall Plus "Application" area and has the green check mark allowing it. I can go into AVG's Control Center and click "Check For Updates" and it works as it should, and I can also right click the AVG icon in the systems tray and then click "check for updates" and it works as it should there as well. Only when I'm in AVG's Test Center do I get the error message. If I turn Firewall Plus off and then I click the update button in the Test Center then and only then will it check for updates. I posted this question to the AVG forum and that person suggested there's another file besides the AVGINET.EXE that I need to let the firewall allow but he was unsure which file it might be. Here is his reply, "You should probably have more than just AVGINET.EXE in the firewall but I'm not sure what that firewall will require... PS... the Test Center update and the Control Center updates are the same procedure so its probably something you have missing... "

Since posting the above I added AVGW.EXE, AVGAMSVR.EXE, AVGEMC.EXE, and AVGCC.EXE to the list of applications allowed in the firewall and double checked that they are indeed ticked with the green check mark that they are allowed but the problem persists.

Anyone have any ideas regarding this? Thanks!

I'll try adding that one when I get home. Originally I just added all the AVG files to Firewall Plus that were used with the Windows firewall that I had been using and figured that would be enough since I had no problems using it. Thanks!

I posted this question to the AVG forum and that person suggested there's another file besides the AVGINET.EXE that I need to let the firewall allow but he was unsure which file it might be.

Beyond the AVGINET.EXE file you need allow the avgwb.dat file (AVG Basic Interface).

I added the AVGWB.DAT file, but I still get the error message. This morning there was a big update for AVG Free. Not just a definitions update but also a complete software update. I updated it through the Control Center and then found that no matter where I tried to update (Control Center, Test Center, or icon in the system tray) I got the error message and couldn't update. I turned the PC Tools firewall off and the Windows firewall on and tried to update and things worked as they should, of course there was no update available since I had just updated. So I reboooted and then turned off the Windows firewall and turned back on the PC Tools firewall and now I'm back to where I was. Cannot update from the Test Center, but can update from the Control Center and the icon in the system tray. The files listed in the Windows firewall are AVGINET.EXE, AVGAMSVR.EXE, AVGCC.EXE and AVGEMC.EXE. I have all four of those in the PC Tools firewall as well as the AVGWB.DAT file. AVG updating works fine with the Windows firewall on and the PC Tools firewall off. I don't understand why one cause problems and the other doesn't if they're both allowing the same AVG files.

• Moderators

I had to remove PC Tools Firewall because it was blocking AntiVir from updating, and adding all of AntiVir's .exe files didn't help either. Strange though how it ran good for about a week then all of a sudden I noticed my AntiVir hadn't updated in days.