free suite of apps that need no installation.

mkc_vx the 15th

What is a portable app? http://portableapps.com/

portable - carried or moved with ease

app - a computer program like a web browser or word processor

A portable app is a computer program that you can carry around with you on a portable device and use on any Windows computer. When your USB flash drive, portable hard drive, iPod or other portable device is plugged in, you have access to your software and personal data just as you would on your own PC. And when you unplug the device, none of your personal data is left behind.

No Special Hardware - Use any USB flash drive, portable hard drive, iPod/MP3 player, etc

No Additional Software - Just download the portable app, extract it and go

No Kidding - It's that easy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it has the following apps:

Applications

Development

* Nvu Portable - The easy-to-use Nvu web editor

* XAMPP - Apache, mySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin and more in an integrated package

Games

* Sudoku Portable - the wildly popular and addictive puzzle game

Graphics & Pictures

* GIMP Portable - Photo and Image Editor

Internet

* FileZilla Portable - the full-featured FTP client

* FireFTP Extension (for Firefox) - a lightweight extension

* Gaim Portable - chat with AOL, MSN and Yahoo users in an easy-to-use interface

* Miranda IM Portable - chat with AOL, MSN and Yahoo users in a customizable interface

* Mozilla Firefox - Portable Edition - the award-winning web browser that's safe and secure

* Mozilla Thunderbird - Portable Edition - the handy email client

* Sage Extension (for Firefox) - A full-featured RSS extension

* Nvu Portable - the easy-to-use webpage editor

Music & Video

* Audacity Portable - A simple audio editor and recorder

* VLC Media Player Portable - An easy to use media player that plays most audio and video formats

Office

* AbiWord Portable - a lightweight word processor compatible with Microsoft Word files

* Lightning Extension (for Thunderbird) - A lightweight extension for your calendar and tasks

* Mozilla Sunbird - Portable Edition - Calendar and task management with a familiar interface

* Mozilla Thunderbird - Portable Edition (Address Book) - Email client's built-in address book with import/export functions

* OpenOffice.org Portable - word processor, spreadsheet, presentations with Microsoft compatibility

Operating Systems

* Mac-on-Stick - Run Mac OS Classic 7 portably

Utilities

* 7-Zip Portable - File archiver and compressor

* ClamWin Portable - Antivirus on the go

* PortableApps Backup - An easy-to-use backup utility

* PortableApps Menu - An easy-to-use system tray launcher

I love softwares that require no installation, why can't more applications be like that?

Portableapps.com has some nice free portablewares, but many of them already out of date; wish they can update them more frequently.

---

• Moderators

Just out of curiosity, I installed Firefox Portable onto a 1GB flash drive, and I`m running with it at the moment.

Have to type and pause, and wait for it to catch up sometimes, well most of the time, but it`s clever idea. Not sure if I actually have a use for this at the moment, but you never know.

Regards

• Moderators
Have to type and pause, and wait for it to catch up sometimes, well most of the time, but it`s clever idea.

I know exactly what you mean about the pause/catch up!

Just last month I was attempting to make a CDex Portable for myself only to give up due to how slow it was running, although it did actually work but pathetically slow.

• Moderators

Your flash drive is USB 2.0 right?

I used to use firefox on my flashdrive sometimes and it seemed about the same speed as an installed version.

I'll agree with the person above who said they are outdated. I don't know why they aren't updating them since it probably wouldn't be that much work. ;)

• Moderators
Your flash drive is USB 2.0 right?

Yep USB 2.0

Might be straying slightly off topic here, but was having a problem with one or two applications, including Windows Live Messenger yesterday.

Process of elimination led me to the flash drive I forgot to take out.

Took it out (properly), and problems setting up webcam with Live Messenger disappeared.

Is this because I had two USB devices active at the same time ?

Regards