Removing Old Service Entries.

CraigMartin

Hi

Looking in services.msc I have "Automatic LiveUpdates" & "Symantic Core LC".They are both disabled, but I would like to delete/remove them.All other folders and reg entries have been deleted previously using a combo of Symantec uninstall tool, CCleaner & RegCleaner.

Would I be right deleting the two above services through regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet1\Services & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet3\Services?

Or is there a better\easier way?

Thanks

Craig.

If these services are redundant and have been uninstalled?

Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services

and find the service there and delete it.

You will have to reboot before the list gets updated in server manager.

Cheers for the input people.

@Humpty, that was my initial thought, but wanted to check.Have you ever done it yourself?

I did read somewhere that you can do it using 'Hijack This' as well.I was a bit apprehensive about fiddling using regedit an for it not to work.

• Moderators
RegSeeker has a new experimental feature that removes invalid services.

It works very good too. For instance most antivirus scanners write data in an "Enum\Root" key which doesn't have full permissions set on them so tools like Total Uninstall can't remove those keys and thus fail to fully uninstall such apps that write settings to that area. Although "experimental" RegSeeker is able to successfully remove them without manually editing the registry which saves a hell of allot of time in my opinion.