Safely Remove Hardware Icon

TheFiresInTheSky

Friends got an extra HD and it's being detected as a removable device.

He never unplugs it or anything but the icon to remove the hardware mysteriously appears and disappears.

Is there any way to just HIDE it?

Friends got an extra HD and it's being detected as a removable device.

He never unplugs it or anything but the icon to remove the hardware mysteriously appears and disappears.

Is there any way to just HIDE it?

Right click on task bar in the bottom right corner of box click cutomise select the icon you wish and change status to hide all the time. Job done

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators
i was under the impression it was important to click on the icon and stop the drive before turning it off or unplugging it.

Supposedly by clicking to stop the device that enables it to be safely removed, e.g.; files won't still be writing to the device, etc. Well at least this is the info I gained from a thread on these very forums sometime ago (don't remember where that threads at though) which happened to be very useful when I finally got a free 128mb USB key with a 100 pack bundle of Staples CD-R's during Christmas - sure as hell beats floppies.

Is there any harm in turning off or unplugging a device without stopping it using that icon? I often turn off my digital camera without stopping it first and get an error message saying damage can be done by doing that. Is there really any potential for harm?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

I want to completely remove the icon.

It's an external HD that is never removed so it wouldnt need to be "safely removed".

There are some softwares that claim to be able to do delete the icon but I don't think it's advisable. The Safely Remove icon is for all USB devices. The HD may never be removed but are you sure you'll never connect a flash memory drive, digital camera, MP3 player, etc.?

Is there any harm in turning off or unplugging a device without stopping it using that icon? I often turn off my digital camera without stopping it first and get an error message saying damage can be done by doing that. Is there really any potential for harm?
It definitely used to be a problem but with modern devices the biggest risk is probably just data corruption. However, you'll find differing opinions. Google "USB surprise removal".

EDIT: Almost forgot ... with Windows versions earlier than XP, a surprise removal can crash the PC, losing other data that was unsaved.