No Autocleaning In Vista ?

homey

I see from Windows Help & Support that:

-----------QUOTE-----------

To run a blocked program

Right-click the Blocked startup programs icon in the notification area.

Click Run blocked program, and then click the name of the program you want to run. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note

You'll need to repeat these steps each time you want to run the program after starting Windows.

----------UNQUOTE-----------

Well, having to give it permission to run every startup isn't very convenient. And I see that the only way to resolve this problem with getting it to run automatically is to do, as follows:

--------------QUOTE-------------

If a program that you want to run at startup is being blocked, check the publisher's website to see if there is an updated version of the program available that doesn't require permission or an administrator password to run.

------------UNQUOTE-----------

So I guess that I can only hope that a new version of Ccleaner will eventually allow it to run automatically in Vista.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Perhaps homey, not a lot of people on the forum have vista and then are trying to have it run at startup. Also remember Vista is not yet at full release date.

Questions are usually answered quite quickly on the forum, this one obviously doesn't apply to a lot of people.

I presume this is the behaviour you are talking about >

Windows Vista specific functionality

Windows Defender in Windows Vista automatically blocks all startup items that require administrator privileges to run (this is considered a bad behaviour for a startup item). There is no known easy way to automatically unblock these items, the only suggestion given is to "contact the software vendor for an updated version" which is Vista compatible (does not require administrator privileges to run). This automatic blocking is related to the UAC (User Account Control) functionality in Windows Vista, and requires the user to manually run each of these startup items each time they log in. If there is no updated version of the startup item, the only currently known way to circumvene this behavior is to disable UAC altogether (since this is also a UAC related functionality, disabling Windows Defender while not disabling UAC will not solve the issue).

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Perhaps homey, not a lot of people on the forum have vista and then are trying to have it run at startup. Also remember Vista is not yet at full release date.

Questions are usually answered quite quickly on the forum, this one obviously doesn't apply to a lot of people.

I presume this is the behaviour you are talking about >

Windows Vista specific functionality

Windows Defender in Windows Vista automatically blocks all startup items that require administrator privileges to run (this is considered a bad behaviour for a startup item). There is no known easy way to automatically unblock these items, the only suggestion given is to "contact the software vendor for an updated version" which is Vista compatible (does not require administrator privileges to run). This automatic blocking is related to the UAC (User Account Control) functionality in Windows Vista, and requires the user to manually run each of these startup items each time they log in. If there is no updated version of the startup item, the only currently known way to circumvene this behavior is to disable UAC altogether (since this is also a UAC related functionality, disabling Windows Defender while not disabling UAC will not solve the issue).

----------------------

Yep, that's it exactly. And I suppose you're right about no responses due to the fact that no one else is using Vista. But it's hitting the stores in 10 days, so it sure would be nice if CCleaner was ready. If it only had the capability of running automatically at shutdown, instead of just startup, there might not be any real problem.

Thanks for stopping by to say hi. I was getting really lonely here talking to myself. ;)

----------------------

Yep, that's it exactly. And I suppose you're right about no responses due to the fact that no one else is using Vista. But it's hitting the stores in 10 days, so it sure would be nice if CCleaner was ready. If it only had the capability of running automatically at shutdown, instead of just startup, there might not be any real problem.

Thanks for stopping by to say hi. I was getting really lonely here talking to myself. ;)

You're not alone B)

I have installed Vista (RTM) on a test system, and CCleaner refuses to run other than as admin. Because of this I cannot use it to cleanup my "ordinary" account ? unless I disable UAC altogether, which is unwise security-wise :blink:

This time it's just Personal Messaging, which is part of the forum software. You can use it by clicking member's name and choosing "Send message".

Sorry if I missed the sarcasm =)

I was mainly just expressing my ignorance, Spysnake. I figured that PM referred to something that was commonly known, if not universally, at least here in this forum, but I, myself, was entirely clueless. Thanks for cluing me in. And I think I will, indeed, do as hazelnut suggested. Thanks! :)

I was mainly just expressing my ignorance, Spysnake. I figured that PM referred to something that was commonly known, if not universally, at least here in this forum, but I, myself, was entirely clueless. Thanks for cluing me in. And I think I will, indeed, do as hazelnut suggested. Thanks! :)

Done. PM sent. Thanks again, hazelnut and spysnake!

Done. PM sent. Thanks again, hazelnut and spysnake!

Shoot. I got all excited with the new version of CCleaner, fully expecting it to be capable of automatically running during the startup of my Windows Vista (32-bit). But no such luck. Windows Defender still blocks it. :(