dailymailnews.net - new spam

Stephen

Has anyone heard of "dailymailnews.net"? I received a spam from them at an email address I set up separetely from my regular email - which I use for the email address for forums like this one. This email was addressed to me by my real name - which suggests someone either hacked into or bought a data set from one of these forums.

Has anyone else received any email from this site?

It could relate to a spam dictionary attack.

Quote:

An e-mail spamming technique in which the spammer sends out thousands or millions of e-mails with randomly generated addresses using combinations of letters added to known domain names in the hopes of reaching a percentage of actual e-mail addresses.

For example, a dictionary attack list might begin with john@webopedia.com, john1@webopedia.com, john2@webopedia.com, and so on until all possible combinations of letters and numbers has been exhausted.

• Moderators

That's an interesting bit of info Humpty and would explain over the years why email addresses I've had get spammed within 24 hours without me ever giving it out to anyone such as registering for software, etc. I'm just glad my Opera Mail account very rarely gets any spam, however I have applied some filters to it.

Could anyone have filled out your name and email on one of those "tell a friend about this site"?

Can you right click the email from dailymailnews.net and bring up it's properties to see if it is the correct address it came from as they can mask the right address.

If you can bring up the properties - details - look at the return path.

That is for OE, may be similar for your email program.

Could anyone have filled out your name and email on one of those "tell a friend about this site"?

Can you right click the email from dailymailnews.net and bring up it's properties to see if it is the correct address it came from as they can mask the right address.

If you can bring up the properties - details - look at the return path.

That is for OE, may be similar for your email program.

No to the first question. And I have deleted the spam already.

You seem to be pretty pursed off but I don't think I can help anymore.

If you receive another email from the same spammer the link below may help in finding some more info on the culprit.

Tracking and Fighting spam.

It's not that I'm all that pissed, this is the first time I've a gooten a spam with my full name in it - I wanted to see if anyone else had gotten something like this.