DNS Client

XGuNn3rX

Have read the same on various forums.

I leave it disabled and have no probs.

Best thing is to try it out for yourself.If there's a slowdown quite easy to start it again.

Quote from Bold Fortune's services guide:

DNS Client

DNS Client resolves and caches (Domain Name Server) DNS names. DNS Client is required if using IPSEC.

There are lots of arguments about this one. My opinion, it's not required. If you disable it, all the lookups will be done by your Internet Service Provider's DNS.

Link

I disabled it when trying the MVPS hosts file, hosts file didn't work right for me so put the original back. I noticed my internet seemed slow for a week or two after this and couldn't work out why. Then noticed I'd forgotten to re-enable the DNS client service, did so and my net connection was back to normal.

I think its down to the individual users setup whether its problematic or not, I've yet to see a definitive explanation one way or the other.

I installed the MVPS hosts file and part of the suggested config was to disable the DNS client if the hosts file was above a certain size, which it was, so I did, and haven't noticed a significant performance hit. Some sites are a bit slower to open, but I think that's coincidental with installing Firefox, and internet seems slightly slower to open a link from Outlook Express, that's all.

If you have a large hosts, its better to have it disabled.

But normally it should be enabled so it caches the DNS queries so it don't have to look them up every time.

I have it enabled.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png