Spyware Terminator (Freeware)

Darkman

Yep. I've been using it since early August, not long after Microsoft's AntiSpyware died for good. Have hardly had any malware on the system since then, either. A couple of items identified on a Housecall scan which I think I got from using p2p negligently, that's it.

Been a few users complaining of various bugs in (particularly) the second latest version, the current version would appear to have addressed those, going by the feedback.

With the HIPS switched on you get popup/s for any new application or process you want to run. Can be a nuisance for download junkies. If I'm installing a large or complex program, I have disabled realtime protection while installing it. Saves having to click on "allow" for every .dll that's to be installed. The plus side of course, is that if you get a popup for something unexpected, you can block it before it installs/runs. A little knowledge is wise.

Reputedly, in the opinion of some, the scanner isn't as thorough as some. I wouldn't know, 'coz haven't had anything to be found,(except the 2 housecall detections, and they weren't detected by other scans either), but you could get around any worries there by having a couple of good on-demand scanners available. (Mine are Superantispyware, and Asquared). Anyway, IMO, it's all about keeping stuff off first, rather than cleaning stuff up that has broken through. Opinons I've read on Wilders and other sites indicate it's a lot better at that than Windows Defender.