Speed Issue

Takuto

For some reason, the more I use ccleaner, the slower the speed gets each time I clean it. I just reformatted my computer so there's barely anything on it. Spyware/Virus scans pick up nothing, and there's hasn't been any strange new files created over the past week. My computer doesn't feel any slower and there aren't strange applications running in the background either.

But during the first few times I used it, the average process took about 62ms. After a while, this number jumped to 75ms and then now it's at 82ms. I know it's not a huge difference, but does this mean that something that I am unaware of is making my computer slower, or is ccleaner's timing inaccurate? The speed can differ by about ~5ms just by me clearing out my temporary internet files manually after cleaning. And then it'll jump back up ~5ms when I open a folder or two. I always make sure that no applications are running when I'm cleaning with cleaner...but I find it odd how the timing is inconsistent.

• Moderators

Hello Takuto and welcome to the forum :)

Could you give a few bits of info such as what version of windows and ccleaner you use, also any other info which you think may help to get to the cause of this problem.

There is no way ccleaner should take up to 1 and a half hours to clean your computer!!

Does the same "time" problem occur when you use both the clean and the issues part of ccleaner?

What was the reason for the reformat?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I wouldn't worry about small speed variations based on a small sample.

I've noticed CCleaner and several similar apps seem to vary randomly in speed. I suspect it's related at least in part to the usual variables ... concurrent processes, fragmentation (MFT, registry & data), location of files on the hard drive (inner/outer edge), etc. Also, if you're using secure deletion, the size of files to be overwritten may contribute to the variation.

• Moderators

After a while, this number jumped to 75ms and then now it's at 82ms. I know it's not a huge difference, but does this mean that something that I am unaware of is making my computer slower, or is ccleaner's timing inaccurate?

Your installed antivirus real-time protection could cause CCleaner to be slower depending upon the amount of files it deals with and if you've enabled Secure Deletion in Options->Settings. This "slowdown" is more noticeable on my system when using the Issues scanning, however any registry cleaner will scan slower with antivirus real-time protection active.