Reg Seeker - Latest Update

papajoe

I installed the latest version of Reg Seeker and CCleaner yesterday and scanned my pc with them. RS found around 50 scrap files that I deleted and I forget how many CC cleaned up. I was under the impression that everything was working just fine until this morning when my wife went into her account to check her e-mail.

OE would not open up in her account and Windows provided two messages: one saying that she might be out of memory or your disk is full (ox80004005). The second said that "OE could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. OE may not be installed incorrectly."

However, the e-mail in my account worked just fine.

After trying a number of things that didn't work, I came to the conclusion that one of these programs must have damaged one or more of the files in her e-mail account. I was able to remedy the problem by doing a system restore and her e-mail is working just fine again. So there is little doubt in my mind that one of them caused the damage, and I rather suspect that Reg Seeker is the culprit as I have used CC now for a couple of years without any problems at all. But all is well again.

Using programs like Reg Seeker and other registry cleaners can do a lot of damage if they are not used carefully, especially when they are used by folks like me who have limited knowledge of pcs.

My question: Is it really necessary to use these registry cleaners? Would CCleaner be sufficient if used,say once a week?

Thanks

• Moderators

CCleaner cleans the basic/harmless registry entries. It's good to use a registry cleaner, but you always want to look over every entry before you delete it.

For the average user, the CCleaner registry cleaner, will do just fine.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

RegSeeker is a bit aggressive in its cleaning of the registry and could cause some problems..

Please carefully read the exclude.ini file that comes with RegCleaner (for instance: it advises to run Dial-a-fix to quickly repair permissions) and please use Andavari's RegSeeker customized exclude.ini file here to avoid future problems.

• Moderators

RegSeeker is a bit aggressive in its cleaning of the registry and could cause some problems..

Please carefully read the exclude.ini file that comes with RegCleaner (for instance: it advises to run Dial-a-fix to quickly repair permissions) and please use Andavari's RegSeeker customized exclude.ini file here to avoid future problems.

Actually the original RegSeeker exclude.ini file has no mentioning of Dial-a-fix, that's only in my customized one so that people know how to get rid of registry entries that won't delete. But, according to the RegSeeker documentation they've supposedly added the ability to remove such registry entries which I haven't confirmed.

• Moderators

Rename original exclude.ini example to exclude.old and then put that customized exclude.ini to RegSeeker folder.

Merely replacing their exclude.ini file with my customized version isn't good enough because their user selected exclusions really need to be merged at the end of mine.

This all sounds pretty complicated for me. I downloaded Andavari's exclude.ini file, but I haven't got the slightest idea how to use it.

I think that I'll just use CCleaner on a regular basis and then scan once a month or so with the old Reg Seeker Program. As CeeCee pointed out to me in another post, the old program damaged my Flash Player, but uninstalling and downloading a new version is a bit of a pain, but not a big problem. In the mean time, I will try to learn more about the program files in the pc so that I can identify the ones that I shouldn't be deleting if Reg Seeker is used.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks.

Thanks again, CeeCee. I have just been clicking on "delete all", but I am going to have to learn to carefully read through them and not be so hasty in deleting everything the Reg Seeker finds.

...but I am going to have to learn to carefully read through them and not be so hasty in deleting everything the Reg Seeker finds.

Exactly. Right click selected entrie that you want to remove and click "Delete...". You can select multiple entries by pressing Control on keyboard while selecting enties that you want to remove.