Any logical explanation why explorer.exe uses

slowday444

60,000k memory on my home XP pc but only uses 6,000 on a W2000 pc at work? Do you think I have a problem? Thank You!

From my observations Explorer is hungry hog! I turn off all of the eye candy, wallpapers. Also, turn on classic look. Another thing is the transparencies and alpha blending. If there is a way to slim it down even more, I'm all ears?

Explorer.exe Current, 8,900K, Peak 15,816K

Window+Pause/Break Key > Advanced > Settings > Adjust for Best Performance. That will help out alot.

Good Luck,

Going on my explorer.exe which sits between 14 to 20 meg we can assume that it is above normal.

There is an app from Sysinternals that I have heard of that may be able to help pinpoint what's going on.

Process explorer

Thanks Humpty! Unless I'm not reading the app correctly, explorer.exe must be showing the sum of most of my running tray apps e.g. ewido, Nod32, Spy Sweeper, ZoneAlarm, etc., because they all are listed in its tree. It also only shows minimal usage by itself using ProcessExplorer.

Haven't had a need or used process explorer but glad it helped you out Slowday444.

Still a bit weird that explorer.exe in taskmanager is showing the sum total though.

Trust me, I might be wrong. I also can't see anything bogus when I examine it, plus I've cleaned with everything under the sun and no malware ever is found, so I don't know what is going on!