CCleaner Version 6.20 Won't Install on Windows 10 Pro

Just did a "clean" install of Windows 10 Pro and trying to install CCleaner version 6.20.

One I go through a couple dialog boxes and get to the one that displays "Install" it doesn't do anything; just sits there.

I do have Malwarebytes running as well as ZoneAlarm, but don't think those are interfering.

Help!

Thanks.

• Moderators

I've never known MalwareBytes to interfere with CCleaner installs.

I'm not familiar with ZoneAlarm though, and wonder if that may be stopping the installer  from reaching a server it wants/needs to?
(eg. among other things the installer will check if you already have a valid licenced CCleaner installed).

I'd try doing the CCleaner install using the 'Slim' installer, 3rd one down here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
It installs the same CCleaner, it's just a slightly different installer which doesn't contact the same servers so can sometimes get through firewalls that are blocking the Standard installer.

If that still doesn't work then I'd try doing the CCleaner install while offline, or temporarily disabling ZoneAlarm to see if that is the issue.
If it is then you'll need to make CCleaner an exception in ZoneAlarm.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

I've never known MalwareBytes to interfere with CCleaner installs.

I'm not familiar with ZoneAlarm though, and wonder if that may be stopping the installer  from reaching a server it wants/needs to?
(eg. among other things the installer will check if you already have a valid licenced CCleaner installed).

I'd try doing the CCleaner install using the 'Slim' installer, 3rd one down here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
It installs the same CCleaner, it's just a slightly different installer which doesn't contact the same servers so can sometimes get through firewalls that are blocking the Standard installer.

If that still doesn't work then I'd try doing the CCleaner install while offline, or temporarily disabling ZoneAlarm to see if that is the issue.
If it is then you'll need to make CCleaner an exception in ZoneAlarm.

I may have tried it with ZoneAlarm disabled, but will try that again just in case.

Failing that I'll try the "slim" installer.

I've had CCleaner for more years than I can remember and have never had this problem before.

Thanks.

• Moderators

It may be something in the new Windows install.

I'm on my phone so going by memory here but there is a setting that will only let you install apps from the windows store.

From Memory Settings>Apps>Choose where to get apps from. (Something like that).

Edit, i wasn't far off but missed a step 'apps and features'.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-your-app-recommendation-settings-in-windows-f21b5c60-e996-4ee4-c2cf-b4a90c0bef9b#ID0EBD=Windows_10

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

You can check whether your pc is set to download apps from outside the MS store.
Settings>Apps>Apps and Features>right at the top of the screen, you’ll see a drop-down menu under Installing apps. There are three choices: Allow apps from anywhere, warn me before installing apps from outside the Store, and Allow apps from the Store only. Choose the option you want (in your case you’ll need allow apps from anywhere or warn me) and close the Settings app. Your changes are saved automatically.

Virginia/Bastet.
Windows 11 Pro 22H2. CCleaner Pro. MalwareBytes Pro. Defender. Macrium Reflect Home.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

You can check whether your pc is set to download apps from outside the MS store.
Settings>Apps>Apps and Features>right at the top of the screen, you’ll see a drop-down menu under Installing apps. There are three choices: Allow apps from anywhere, warn me before installing apps from outside the Store, and Allow apps from the Store only. Choose the option you want (in your case you’ll need allow apps from anywhere or warn me) and close the Settings app. Your changes are saved automatically.

Appreciate the response.

Its not an issue because I'm not logged into my Microsoft account and it shows I'm allowed to download apps from "Anywhere".

Edited by paulp575

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

It may be something in the new Windows install.

I'm on my phone so going by memory here but there is a setting that will only let you install apps from the windows store.

From Memory Settings>Apps>Choose where to get apps from. (Something like that).

Edit, i wasn't far off but missed a step 'apps and features'.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-your-app-recommendation-settings-in-windows-f21b5c60-e996-4ee4-c2cf-b4a90c0bef9b#ID0EBD=Windows_10

Appreciate the answer. Mine is set to allow from "Anywhere".

Using the "slim" installer solved the problem.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, paulp575 said:

Using the "slim" installer solved the problem.

Good to hear that the Slim worked, it often does. (Which is one reason why it's there as an alternative).

However that does tend to indicate the something, probably ZoneAlarm, was blocking the Standard installer from contacting a server.
Which in turn may mean that it will block some parts of CCleaner itself from working, or from working properly.
If you see 'Unable to reach server' in Health Check, or 'It looks like you are offline' elsewhere within CCleaner, then that's often a sign of your firewall blocking a connection to one or more of the servers that it needs to check with.
If that happens then check your firewall settings and allow the CCleaner (and Avast)  server connections through.
image.png

Appreciate the reply.

I'm not aware of seeing any of the above error messages. I'm using the same version of ZoneAlarm that I was using immediately before installing Win 10.

I don't do Health Check as I'm a believer in "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". I biggest thing I like and use is the ability of CCleaner to clean out all the junk.

I do have other means of keeping my programs updated.

19 hours ago, paulp575 said:

Appreciate the response.

Its not an issue because I'm not logged into my Microsoft account and it shows I'm allowed to download apps from "Anywhere".

Thanks.

Virginia/Bastet.
Windows 11 Pro 22H2. CCleaner Pro. MalwareBytes Pro. Defender. Macrium Reflect Home.