Software Updates, using CCleaner Professional

Banballow

Hi to EVERYONE im the Community.

I, was Wondering .. Can anyone Tell me why the Software Updater in CCleaner Professional is so Inaccurate when it comes to Software Updates.?

*Note : that I, Don't use CCleaner for ANY Software Updates.

At Times, it Shows Updates that Have already Been Downloaded & Applied, Days or even Weeks prior.

When You Check within the said Software itself or Checking on the Developers Website., there are NO NEW available Updates to Speak of.

That is Why I, Don't use ANY 3rd-Party Software for ANY Software Updates, I, prefer to Check, Download & Install, either from the Particular Software itself or through the Manufacturers Website.

just Curious.?  

Edited by Banballow

• Moderators

It's just the nature of software version releases, how they are done, and what an updater may know that you don't (or what you know that the updater doesn't).

Quite often when you 'Check for Updates' within an app it will tell you that there are no updates available, even though they are there on the developers website.
That's because they 'throttle' the distribution of updates to users so as not to overload their servers.

Quite often an update will be available (if you know where to look) but that information not posted on the developers website for a day, or two, or even a week.
Software updating sites know where to look for those updates and so can offer them even before they have made it onto the developers website.

We see that one with CCleaner itself, certain known sites will have a new version available to download before it has been fully released on the CCleaner website itself.
(They do sometimes get caught out if a last minute change is made before the 'official' release).

As for versions already installed; it depends just wnat version the installed software says it is.
Sometime the version number stored internally within the app is at odds with the version number as it is given on the website/file.
For example one might say v18.1.0 while the other says v18.10, which is the 'latest' the eighteen one or the eighteen ten? (Of course they are usually the same but one has a dot missing, or one has a surplus dot)

Occasionally a developer may update the 32-bit version of an app to a different version number that the 64-bit version, or vice-versa.
That can also sometimes cause issues if they are usually the same number.

So as you say if you only want to update when the developer tells you to then don't use any software updater.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

v6.18 has just been released which has changes to the Software Updating.

I haven't installed it yet to take a look.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043