CCleaner over reports recycle bin bytes

I've been using CCleaner for years, and I recently encountered an issue.  CCleaner over states the number of bytes it has emptied from the recycling bin.  Even when the recycling bin is empty, CCleaner reports that it has removed 1,449,649kbytes from the recycling bin.  I've deleted CCleaner and reloaded a newer version but no change.  Why?

• Moderators

You probably have a corrupted recycle bin - it happens and most people don't notice unless using a cleaner.

Luckily it is very quick and easy to fix, see this:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 1 month later...

CCleaner always cleans 4.5 Gb from the recycle bin even when it is empty. I tried the suggestion in this topic...
Right-click on the "Command Prompt" entry > click "Run as Administrator"

1. Type and enter:
    rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

2. I get this response
    Remove-Item: A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '/q'.

So, how do I fix this situation, which you say is probably a corrupt recycle bin?
  3. Thank you, MickD

Thank you. Attached is screen shot of result I get from trying on drive c:

using administrator account...

rd /s /q <drive letter>:\$Recycle.bin

I hi-lited the relevant part in yellow :)

MickD

RecycleCorrupt.png

Edited by MickD

• Moderators

Your screenshot shows why you are having the problem.

That's Power Shell not a Command Window, the two things have different different command languages.

In particular 'rd' is a Command Window command.
The Equvalent in PowerShell is 'Remove-Item' which has different parameters and different syntax.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.management/remove-item?view=powershell-7.3

So although PS has recognised that by 'rd' you mean 'remove-item' it doesn't know what to do with the '/q' because that isn't used as an argument/modifier in 'remove-item'.
(That's what the first line in red is telling you).

You need to run the 'rd' command, as written, in a elevated Command Window (run as Administrator), it won't work PowerShell as it is written.

It should look like this when run in a Command Window. When sucessful, as it is here, there is no dialogue just the next prompt:
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043