Wiping not mentioned in report after cleaning

CCcustomer

I chose to clean certain customised options in my browser along with wiping 60 GB of free space including MFT. I went to sleep before the wiping had concluded. The wiping slowed considerably at about 40% complete. Is this normal? Also, when I returned after the the wiping had finished, the Advanced Report seemed to be missing some information.  "Cleaning Complete (17379 seconds). It then listed the browser options I had chosen to clean but there was no mention of the wiped free space. Is this normal? I ask because I know my laptop has been hacked and the hacker frequently stops or interferes in my operations. Does the number of seconds (4.8 hours) of wiping inc MFT seem right? My computer is a medium speed 2012 Samsung laptop.

• Moderators

Yes wiping the freespace on a drive can take a (very) long time. Especially on todays larger capacity drives.

It depends on just how many GBs of free space there is on the drive.

As an idea I was doing some testing last week and so deliberately used a smaller (50 GB) drive, but even then it was taking about 30 mins to wipe just under 40 GB of free space.

WFS wipes all of the free space. Even if it's never been used the programme can't tell that, so to be sure has to wipe it all.

The results screen wouldn't be able to say anything much other than "Free space wiped " - I suppose the developers thought you would know that already because of the time it takes.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I wiped free space (60 GB) with MFT. This took 4.8 hours. The next day I wiped again with MFT (13.9 GB free space) so that I could watch the whole process.. It only took 1hour fifty minutes. Wiping MFT is the much longer operation (wiping the free space only took 12 minutes). I wiped free space (13.9 GB) with MFT again the next day. This took 4 hours and twenty minutes. Can you explain the 2.5 hours difference in wiping time when the free space is the same and no files have been created or deleted between the two wipes. 

• Moderators

I see that it's a 2012 machine so it will have a slow(ish) processor, probably limited RAM, and probably a slow(er) rotating drive.
Either/all of those would explain your slow drive write speeds.*
(Which you probably wouldn't notice too much, until doing some intensive writing to the drive - such as wiping the free space).

I have to ask what Windows version you are running on it?

No I can't explain the difference on different days.

My best guess would be maybe the amount of free space fragmentation on the drive? If the files that you put on there didn't fill up the individual clusters then there would be free space scattered all over the drive.
(Side note: Defraggler has an advanced option to defrag the free space, you can even let it fragment files to get the free space more contiguous).

Second best guess would be that your computer was doing something else in the background, something like running an antivirus scan.

A bigger point here is that unless this is deliberate testing you should not be wiping the free space daily, there is absolutely no need for it.
Wiping drives is something that you do if you are passing that drive or computer on to someone else. so that they can't then recover the files that you deleted from it before giving it to them.
There is no other real need to do it at all and so all you are doing is wearing your drive for no real reason.
(Unless of course there is something that you are doing everyday,something that you are trying to hide everyday from the possibility of recovery).

*Swapping the current drive out for a SSD should speed that laptop up considerably. Adding more RAM (if it can support more than is already in there) will also help.
Plus as a bonus for you SSD's do not need to be wiped, the way that SSD technology works along with the automatic TRIM command means that you have slim to zero chance of recovering deleted files from a SSD.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

You said: The results screen wouldn't be able to say anything much other than "Free space wiped. " That's the point, my results screen does not even say that. I was asleep during the first wipe. There was no indication that the wipe free space had completed. Every developer knows that it's a cardinal sin not to notify the user that a requested action has completed, especially when that action takes four hours and wears out the hard drive. That's why I thought the hacker had stopped it, so I wiped again when I could  watch the whole process. The second wipe was two and a half hours shorter, which seemed suspiciously truncated. So I ran a third wipe which proved that four hours was standard. It seemed to me that the hacker was spooked by my first post to you and so shortened the second wipe. Even though I have not been able to send emails from my laptop's internet connection for 18 months, my email to CC was hacked. He read your second reply before I did (hackers have their grammar of gloating). My hacker is not imaginary, The Police informed me, some years ago, that malicious emails had been sent from my laptop.