CCleaner puts Avast files in Temp

I kept getting _avast_ in C:\Windows\temp. I don't have avast.

I believe it is CCleaner that creates this file at every boot-up.

I uninstalled CCleaner with an uninstaller that removes leftovers.

I then ran Fortect to cleanup my PC.

The file _avast_ not longer appeared after bootup. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I then reinstalled CCleaner.

The file _avast_ began to be created at boot-up.

When I installed CCleaner, it offered to install Avast but I declined, so this points to CCleaner as the culprit.

Is this some sort of an accident that CCleaner creates _avast_ or is this used for some sort of nefarious purpose?

I will go into Autoruns and uncheck all CCleaner items

1)CCleanerUpdate

2)CCleanerCrashReporting

3)CCleanerSkipUAC

I did this on another PC and _avast_ did not get created on reboot.

Then I was looking for _avast_ with Everything Search.

When I started CCleaner, _avast_ appeared exactly on CCleaner startup.

CCleaner MUST explain why they are creating _avast_!

• Moderators

Yes, CCleaner is putting it there.

There is nothing "nefarious" about it.

CCleaner is part of a bigger company called GEN (full name Gen Digital) and they share servers and other resources.

Many companies form larger groups in order to share their knowledge and resources and reduce infrastructure costs.

https://www.gendigital.com/

Gen is a global company powering Digital Freedom through consumer brands including Norton, Avast, LifeLock, Avira, AVG, ReputationDefender, and CCleaner.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• nukecad changed the title to CCleaner puts Avast files in Temp

Will you explain what the prupose of the _avast_ folder is and if it is used to make any information from a CCleaner scan of my PC or any other information on my PC available to anyone on any internet server owned by Gen or anyone else, without my permission?

As it stands now, I delete _avast_, if it exist, after PC startup.

When I run CCleaner, _avast_ appears.

When I exit CCleaner I delete _avast_.

So the only vunerability is when CCleaner is running.

CCleaner MUST guarantee that _avast_ is not a telemetry portal for Gen or anyone else.

If CCleaner can't do that then I will be forced to uninstall CCleaner.

I await your reply.

• Moderators

Some more info here, as you may know Norton owns all the anti-virus companies listed here....

NOVEMBER, 07, 2022
Gen Unites Trusted Brands Including Norton, Avast, LifeLock and Avira

TEMPE, Ariz. and PRAGUE, Nov. 7, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- NortonLifeLock Inc. (NASDAQ: NLOK) today unveiled its new company name, Gen Digital Inc. (TO BE NASDAQ: GEN), following the completed merger of NortonLifeLock and Avast. Gen™ unites trusted names in Cyber Safety – Norton, Avast, LifeLock, Avira, AVG, CCleaner and ReputationDefender

https://investor.gendigital.com/news/news-details/2022/Introducing-Gen-The-Company-to-Power-Digital-Freedom/default.aspx

I don't see the file myself but I understand why it bugs you to have it. Does it still appear if you RUN CCleaner with no internet connection?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I also don't see any Avast file in C:\Windows\temp

That will probably be because we have different settings in CCleaner.
(I might do some testing later to try and track down which setting(s) that might be).

CCleaner MUST guarantee that _avast_ is not a telemetry portal for Gen or anyone else.

If CCleaner can't do that then I will be forced to uninstall CCleaner.

Read the Privacy Policy and Product Policy that can be found in your CCleaner:
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
11 hours ago, hazelnut said:

NOVEMBER, 07, 2022
Gen Unites Trusted Brands Including Norton, Avast, LifeLock and Avira

TEMPE, Ariz. and PRAGUE, Nov. 7, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- NortonLifeLock Inc. (NASDAQ: NLOK) today unveiled its new company name, Gen Digital Inc. (TO BE NASDAQ: GEN), following the completed merger of NortonLifeLock and Avast. Gen™ unites trusted names in Cyber Safety – Norton, Avast, LifeLock, Avira, AVG, CCleaner and ReputationDefender

Indeed, the combined entity has 4 AVs, 7 VPNs, and 5 different utilities brands ... oh and the various security suites will also have some embedded VPN and utilities libraries as well.  One might reasonably conclude that a sensible company would consolidate some of that tech stack.  That's no more nefarious than your Marmite labels and Magnum icecream wrappers coming off the same printing press.

12 hours ago, Rebob777 said:

CCleaner MUST guarantee that _avast_ is not a telemetry portal for Gen or anyone else

It's not.  And (aside from the above) here's why. Although folks in the USA are accustomed to companies playing fast and loose with user privacy, Google up "GDPR fines" for why companies with European customers have to behave themselves in this regard. Even anonymous telemetry data must be handled appropriately. If you check this box:

image.png

... then you'll be contributing to the tally data that drives product design decisions and prioritisation (eg: "90% of our users use feature X at least once a week - we should focus development efforts there", etc). You can opt out of this, although this effectively removes you from the voting pool.

Can this data be used for any other purpose than stated?  Well not a lot, since on the servers it's all anonymous.  It could be used to locally target cross-promotions from within CCleaner itself, but only if you provide that permission:

image.png

TL;DR: "_avast_" looks to be careless labelling either of a library component transplanted from Avast -> CCleaner, or that was repackaged from CCleaner to be used in an Avast-branded product.  It is nothing interesting.  CCleaner's privacy settings remain controlled by the CCleaner Options > Privacy settings that CCleaner must legally adhere to.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
Other customer support? Check the contact details in your order confirmation or email support@ccleaner.com
Privacy questions - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes or CCleaner version history.

Disclaimer: Anything written in this post is not official Piriform communication.  I am not a Piriform employee, just a forum moderator.

I have uninstalled CCleaner. I will check back to see if CCleaner fixes this which unnecessarily causes doubts in the minds of all who have been lied to by so many formerly trusted. I hope CCleaner can restore the confidence formerly held.

Thanks for this forum and the timely responses.