When running Health Check it trys to install AVG Free??

Hi 

I have just activated my new version of Professional Plus.  When I performed the first Health Check it works as normal but as it gets to the end of the progress bar a window pops up advising me it wants to install AVG Free.

I cancel this, but everytime I run Health check it trys again.

I don't need AVG Free as I own and have installed AVG Internet Security which is better.  Why does it not recognise this, is there a way of turning it off?

• Moderators

Is it trying to install AVG Free though?

Now that you have CCleaner Pro,  running Health Check will automatically update your installed software (unless you cancel that updating)

So it sounds like Health Check is trying to update your already installed AVG.

You can prevent that happening by using Custom Clean rather than Health Check.

Custom Clean will not try to update your software automatically. (There is a seperate 'Software Updater' in 'Tools').

To set Custom Clean as your default go to Options>Settings>CCleaner Home Screen.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

51 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Is it trying to install AVG Free though?

Now that you have CCleaner Pro,  running Health Check will automatically update your installed software (unless you cancel that updating)

So it sounds like Health Check is trying to update your already installed AVG.

You can prevent that happening by using Custom Clean rather than Health Check.

Custom Clean will not try to update your software automatically. (There is a seperate 'Software Updater' in 'Tools').

To set Custom Clean as your default go to Options>Settings>CCleaner Home Screen.

Yep it is trying to install AVG Free, don't want it too as I have a fully paid version of AVG already installed and up to date.  It doesnt seem to recognise I already have a version of AVG already there.

I'll have a look at what you suggested and see what I can configure thank you.

(just tried Health Check, and scans OK, but when you choose "Make it Better" that is when it tries installing AVG Antivirus FREE??)

Why does it not recognise I already have a fully paid version of Antivirus?

Edited by Taurean7

• Moderators

I don't know.

Have you tried updating your installed AVG and seeing if Health Check still does the same thing? (Tip, go to the AVG website to check the latest version,  sometimes 'Check for updates' within an app doesn't quite work properly).

It is always possible that Health Check is getting something wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. If it is and we can track it down here then we can shout at the devs just what to look at to fix it.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

12 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I don't know.

Have you tried updating your installed AVG and seeing if Health Check still does the same thing? (Tip, go to the AVG website to check the latest version,  sometimes 'Check for updates' within an app doesn't quite work properly).

It is always possible that Health Check is getting something wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. If it is and we can track it down here then we can shout at the devs just what to look at to fix it.

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I did driver updater which didnt show anything, and I also checked and my AVG was showing up to date.  However, I dug into the AVG app and found the area to check for updates, both virus and software, and it showed that there was a software update available - strange as this normally updates when it does the virus update.  Anyhow I did it manually, which also requested a reboot.  After doing this I did the CCleaner actions as before this time no problem.

It should say that it is out of date and requires updating, not try installing something else "instead".

But it also screwed up my installation of Microsoft Outlook and I had to re-install it.

• Moderators

Good to hear you sorted the AVG.

We see it often with certain antiviruses, a 'Check for Updates' will say that it the AV is up to date, but that's the definitions and not the app itself. You have to dig deeper into the AVs menu/settings, or visit the website, to see if there is an application update.

Whilst I can't be 100% certain, Health Check was most likely trying to update your installed AVG. I'm guessing what it was saying about 'Free' was wrong.
I can't be 1000% sure because it has been known to get things wrong. (ie. for a while i would try to update Irfanview 64-bit with the latest 32-bit version, that's been fixed).
The only way to be sure would have been to let it continue and see what it actually did.

Do you also want to try and work out what happened with your Outlook?
If so then please tell us what happened with that.

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

Do you also want to try and work out what happened with your Outlook?
If so then please tell us what happened with that.

After sorting the health check I rebooted the laptop.  I then tried opening Outlook from a link on my taskbar, it came up with an error, and suggested I went to programs and features and repair the app.

i did this and what it did was remove the app entirely and installed Microsoft 365 version of the outlook.  Fortunately the company I work for has software licences that we can install on personal machines.  But what did your software do with Outlook in the first place, it was Outlook 2019 but that shouldn’t make a difference.

• Moderators

Oh, well.

Guess we will never know just what it was, and MS pushed outlook 365 at you so  there's probably nothing left of outlook 2019.

As long as things are working again for you then I suppose that's all that matters.

• 5 weeks later...

RE: (just tried Health Check, and scans OK, but when you choose "Make it Better" that is when it tries installing AVG Antivirus FREE??)  [Taurean7    Author Posted June 30 (edited)   On 30/06/2023 at 10:22, nukecad said: ]

I've installed AVG free but never purchased it. However I also have the same problem with Health Check on one Windows 10 PC. When you click on 'Make It Better' the AVG starts to setup the free version.  I just wait until AVG is ready to install then click the X (to close) and answer yes when it asks 'Do you want to quit setup?'; it then removed the install file and goes away, then Health Check finishes.

This only happens on one Windows 10 PC, I have not seen it happen with Windows 11 PCs nor Windows 10 tablets or my other Windows 10 PC. I was killing the task through Windows Task Manager but it left the install file intact so just waiting until it is ready to install and closing it is the easiest way to work around this minor issue.

The only hunch I have is that there must be some AVG residue that Health Check is finding, to update.   My next step will be to deep clean this Windows 10 PC and see if I can find traces of the AVG install to remove.  I used  CCleaner to uninstall but maybe it missed something? AVG is no longer in the CCleaner uninstall list nor the Windows App & Features list under Settings.

Thanks for addressing this issue, I was ready to ask CCleaner tech support why they were forcing the AVG install, until I read this tread.

Best

JamesWilliam

• Moderators
9 hours ago, JamesWilliam said:

The only hunch I have is that there must be some AVG residue that Health Check is finding, to update.

That is just what I was going to say, there is a residue of AVG left that Health Check is seeing and so trying to update.

Note that uninstalling an app from within ccleaner just uses the standard Windows uninstaller, nothing more.
It doesn't clean anything 'extra' than uninstalling through Windows does.

Personally I always use Revo Uninstaller, that runs the standard uninstaller and then scans for leftover files and registry entries retlated to the newly uninstalled app.
Like with CCleaner there is a Free version that will do most of what an average user wants, and then a Pro version with extra features for more advanced use.
https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

PS. Revo Pro can scan for leftovers of apps that you had uninstalled before getting REVO, using an option called 'Forced Uninstall'.
So if you want to use Revo to scan for the AVG leftovers then you will need to download the Pro Trial or buy Revo Pro.
Normally I'd say to install Revo Free, reinstall the offending app, then uninstall and scan using Revo Free - but in the case of an AV you might not want to reinstall it. Your choice, but I'd go with the Pro trial and use 'Forced Uninstall'.