Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files.

Anthony A

• Moderators

Search for: C:\Windows\System32\MSVBVM60.DLL

Version should be at least: 6.0.97.82

----------

Full list of minimum versions that should be installed:

FILENAME:	   |  VERSION:	  |  SIZE:					 |  DATE:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------comcat.dll	  |  4.71.1460.1   |  21.7 KB (22,288 bytes)	|  May 08, 2002----------------------------------------------------------------------------------msvbvm60.dll	|  6.0.97.82	 |  1.32 MB (1,386,496 bytes) |  Feb 23, 2004----------------------------------------------------------------------------------oleaut32.dll	|  2.40.4275.1   |  584 KB (598,288 bytes)	|  April 12, 2000----------------------------------------------------------------------------------olepro32.dll	|  5.0.4275.1	|  160 KB (164,112 bytes)	|  May 08, 2002----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could do a search on your pc for msvbvm60.dll which is used by Ccleaner. On my pc the file was located in C:\Windows\system32.

If you don't think you have it you can download it from Microsoft:

vbrun60sp6.exe

Fore more detailed information you can search on the forum for "runtime" (without the quotes). There are quite a few threads and posts about Microsoft VBS.

EDIT: I see Andavari posted a reply while I was writing mine.

Sorry about that...

Thank you for the info. I checked and it seems I have the MVSBVM50.DLL and the 60.DLL. Must have come pre installed on my Dell. Looks like I am good to go :D

Search for: C:\Windows\System32\MSVBVM60.DLL

Version should be at least: 6.0.97.82

----------

Full list of minimum versions that should be installed:

FILENAME:	   |  VERSION:	  |  SIZE:					 |  DATE:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------comcat.dll	  |  4.71.1460.1   |  21.7 KB (22,288 bytes)	|  May 08, 2002----------------------------------------------------------------------------------msvbvm60.dll	|  6.0.97.82	 |  1.32 MB (1,386,496 bytes) |  Feb 23, 2004----------------------------------------------------------------------------------oleaut32.dll	|  2.40.4275.1   |  584 KB (598,288 bytes)	|  April 12, 2000----------------------------------------------------------------------------------olepro32.dll	|  5.0.4275.1	|  160 KB (164,112 bytes)	|  May 08, 2002----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I checked again for the versions you have listed here. I have all the minimums except the msvbvm60.dll. My version is 6.0.96.90. Will this be a problem for me?

I am a little confused here. Looking at the chart with all the components and minimum versions listed it seems my version of msvbvm60.dll is 6.0.96.90 which seems to be a lower version than the one recommended. The one recommended is dated Feb 23.2004. I purchased my computer well after that from Dell (April,2005). I would think my version would be more recent than the one recommended? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

• Moderators

It's easy for a PC manufacturer to have older/out-dated versions of allot stuff on the PC, hence the reason to update many things as soon as you start using your new PC.

The MS VB Runtime files dated on Microsoft's download site from 2004 work fine with CCleaner. And since they're required by so many freeware applications and commercial applications it never hurts to keep them up-to-date.

It's easy for a PC manufacturer to have older/out-dated versions of allot stuff on the PC, hence the reason to update many things as soon as you start using your new PC.

The MS VB Runtime files dated on Microsoft's download site from 2004 work fine with CCleaner. And since they're required by so many freeware applications and commercial applications it never hurts to keep them up-to-date.

So is my version not suitable for CCleaner?

• Moderators

I have no ideal if it is, or isn't.

I've only been using CC with the latest version available.

It's only a 997 KB (1,021,440 bytes) setup file (well the one on my system is), so why take any chances, just update and be done with it.

So is my version not suitable for CCleaner?

I have the same version as you. 6.0.96.90

It works fine with Ccleaner. :)

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

• Moderators

Really I don't see why it needs to be discussed for several days when the update is quick and easy. :huh:

Also since CC isn't the only program that requires those files it may actually be required by some installation down the road that the newest version be installed.

I have the same version as you. 6.0.96.90

It works fine with Ccleaner. :)

Same here. It seems to work fine for me.

I was surprised you have to manually check for updated versions of VBS. Mine was sp5 and sp7 is the latest version. If it wasn't for this thread I would have never known a newer version was available.

I guess it's not important enough to be part of Automatic Updates.

To be honest I have never run a program that has had a problem with VBS. Never been an issue for me before and CCleaner installed fine and is working perfectly as of now.

• Moderators

VBS "Visual Basic Script" is completely different from Visual Basic Runtime files.

Off topic:

Actually to run Visual Basic Scripts (.vbs) and JavaScript (.js) requires something completely different called Windows Script which happens to have an updated version over that initially included with WinXP.

VBS "Visual Basic Script" is completely different from Visual Basic Runtime files.

Actually, I knew that and was trying not to confuse the two. Unfortunately, confusion takes up most of the resources in my brain and my efforts to keep it under control often do not work out very well :angry: .

• Moderators

*Windows Scripting Host ;)

Yeah I almost wrote it as that, however after viewing the download site MS has changed the name of it because Windows Scripting Host is "supposedly" only a sub-component of the now Windows Script. Anyways regardless of what MS name it we know what it is.