When I start CCleaner for the first time, it behaves as if it has frozen.

Jtree

It is my habit to start CCleaner and clean my PC after startup.

After updating to CCleaner, when I start CCleaner for the first time after booting my PC, CCleaner itself behaves as if it has frozen.

The program does not freeze completely, but the busy blue circle keeps spinning and I have to quit CCleaner from Windows Task Manager to get it to work properly.

I have 3 PCs and after updating to v6.07.10191, the same behavior.

• Moderators

It's somewhat odd that it only affects the first launch of CCleaner but that could be a clue, pesumably you are saying that it then opens OK after you end task on that first time?

Interesting that it's 3 different machines, that rules out any faults with the machine itself.

It sounds as if something is blocking CCleaner from connecting to the internet properly that first time.
So you just see the spinning circle as CCleaner waits for the connection to be made.

There are a few things that CCleaner checks over the internet when it launches, from what you describe then I'm guessing that it's probably the 'check for updates', although it could be one of the others.
(My guess is that even though CCleaner hasn't connected that first time it has set a flag that it checked, so when you launch CCleaner again it doesn't check again because it only just did it).

As it's affecting all 3 different machines then it's probably something in your routers connection to the internet, most likely the security software on your router or at your ISP.
(Although if you have the same AV and/or firewall settings on all 3 machines then it could be that, but that's less likely).

The first thing I'd check is to restart one of the PC's, disconnect from the internet, and then launch CCleaner.
If it launches without a problem when you are not connected to the net then that would indicate that it is a problem with connecting to a server.

If that's the case I'd next try turning off both update options in CCleaner (Options>Update), then reboot the PC with interet connected and see if CCleaner launches OK now.

Let us know how those 2 go, if they don't cure it we can look deeper into what may be the cause.
Or we can look deeper anyway to try and see if we can stop it happening so you can use the automatic update.

Just another couple of thoughts that may or may not be relevant:
Did you use the same CCleaner installer on all 3 machines, or did you download an installer on each machine?
Are these PC's running Windows 10 or Windows 11?
If you are using an Antivirus rather than Windows Security(Defender) then which AV is it?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Windows Defender ("Microsoft Defender Antivirus") when the setting "Cloud-delivered protection" is enabled it can cause something similar to what was described when launching some software, with effected software it can cause them to take many seconds before they'll load - it's the reason I have it turned off.

• Moderators

Thanks for that @Andavari

I just tried toggling that setting here and whilst it did make a very slight difference for me when opening CCleaner it wasn't that big a difference, only about half to one second.
Of course all machines are different, so it may be slowere on yours and it's something worth checking if you have any apps that are being slow to launch.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043