Disabling Health Check auto updates for Windows apps (CCleaner Pro)

BywaterNYC

Hi, gang.

Before the latest update to CCleaner Pro, we were given the option of updating Windows apps — OR NOT— via the Health Check "Security" feature. CCleaner would indicate when an app update was available...but if the upgrade was unwanted, it was possible to untick a box next to the app's name, and Health Check would bypass the update.

The option NOT to update seems to have disappeared from the latest version of CCleaner Pro. Health Check now updates apps automatically.

Have I've overlooked a setting in the new CCleaner Pro that would disable automatic app updates? I'd prefer that CCleaner not make update decisions for me. Sometimes a particular app's version is the version I wish to keep. 

Thanks for your help.

CCleaner Pro 6.07.10191 (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

CCleaner Professional v6.17.10746  (64-bit)

Windows 10 Pro v21H2  (64-bit) 

• Moderators

Thanks for reporting this.

I have managed to repeat the problem, but only the once.

I rolled back Irfanview a version and then opened CCleaner and ran Health Check to test it.
It found the updated Irfanview version and showed "1 apps to update".
I clicked 'Security' and it did still give me the tickbox option not to update, which I unticked.
However, going back to the Overview 'Security' was still showing "1 apps to update" despite the tickbox being unticked.
Back into 'Security' - no updates were showing.
Back to Overview and 'Security' was still showing "1 apps to update".
Clicking 'Make it Better' did update Irfanview to the latest version.

So on that occasion unticking the box obviously hadn't worked correctly.
It seems to have done only half of the job it should have, what most would consider the unimportant half.

Could I ask/ check if that is also what you saw?
It's not quite what you describe in your post, but I may just have gone into more detail.

Next:
I then rolled back the Irfanview version again, opened CCleaner, and ran Health Check again, again I unticked the checkbox for the update.
This time when I went back to Overview it had correctly been removed from 'Security' which was showing "0 apps to update".
Clicking 'Make it Better' did NOT update Irfanview to the latest version.

Every time that I have tried since Health Check is behaving as it should and not updating if the app has been unticked.

So it looks like an intermittent, or even one-off, bug in v6.07. (Bugs like that can be a PITA to track down).

I've reported it to the staff to be investigated and fixed.

PS. There are another couple of ways that you can prevent the automatic software updating in Health Check Pro.

1. Go offline before running Health Check. If it's offline then it can't check for or fetch any software updates.
  2. Always use Custom Clean not Health Check.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I appreciate your help! Thanks, and I'm very sorry for not having responded sooner.

As clearly as I can describe it, here's what happened. I opened Health Check, clicked "Start," and the software ran its usual scan. Ordinarily, when there's an option to update one or more pieces of software, CCleaner will let you know by displaying the number of optional updates here:

https://i.imgur.com/Yoe23tQ.png

(Elsewhere on that same screen, CCleaner displays junk files that needs cleaning.)

This time, CCleaner displayed a few junk files, but failed to indicate that any software updates were pending. So when I clicked "Make it better," CCleaner not only cleaned the junk files, but updated software without first alerting me. As in the screenshot linked above, CCleaner had displayed "0 apps to update."

It may have been a one-off, as you say. Will report back if it happens again, and thanks. 

Slight tangent: Health Check always finds junk files missed by Custom Clean — up to 13 MB of new junk every day. Were that not the case, I wouldn't bother running Health Check at all.

Thanks again for diving in to help me. I'll be back if the issue persists, but for now, happy holidays!

• Moderators

That's not the same as I found then.

So you are saying that no update was showing at all but a software got updated anyway.

Can you tell us what particular software it was that updated?
Did you actually see that apps updating screens when you clicked 'Make it better', or did you just notice later that it had been updated?

PS. Health Check uses it's own cleaning rules and so will often clear things that you have unticked in Custom Clean.
I am not aware of Health Check clearing anything 'extra' that would not be cleared as long as it was ticked in Custom Clean.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 months later...

I'm very sorry for not having replied sooner to thank you for your help. Please accept my apology.

Am happy to say that since my last visit here, I've had no further problems. For several weeks, I simply stopped using the Health Check feature.  Then, when I tested it again, the issue had resolved itself. Maybe a CCleaner software update took care of the problem I was having, or maybe the problem was just a fluke. In any case, all is well now.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me!