ccleaner is deleting File Explorer quick access files

• Moderators

CCleaner shouldn't touch Quick Access - but I'm thinking that you are actually meaning something different.

'Quick Access' is a folder of shortcuts, you can pin other folders in there so that you can get to them quickly in File explorer.
It's also known as 'Frequent Folders'.
You can't pin files there, only folders.

image.png

I suspect that you are actually meaning the list of recently used documents and files.
Those lists can be cleared by Custom Clean. The files are not deleted, the files are still there, just not in that list anymore.
The settings to control that are 'Recent Documents' and  'Other Explorer MRUs' (MRU = Most Recently Used).
image.png

Just to be sure - you are using Custom Clean and not Health Check?
Those ticks/unticks only apply to Custom Clean, Health Check does it's own thing.

EDIT- Just for completeness there are usually similar lists of recently accessed files if you right-click the icons of applications on the taskbar.
The setting for those is also in the above screenshot 'Taskbar Jump Lists'.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you for your comments. I was referring to the saved files in the quick access folder. The "recent documents" feature was already disabled. Ccleaner is still deleting the saved files in the quick access folder. Any suggestions or should I file a bug report? Thanks

• Moderators

OK, I think you are meaning the 'Recent Files' listing in Quick Access.
(I have that turned off myself, which is why it's not in my screenshot, sorry).

Can you confirm that? Screenshots showing it before and after running CCleaner would help.

Did you also make sure that 'Other Explorer MRUs' was unchecked in Custom Clean?
I'd also look at 'Taskbar Jump Lists' setting - because of the next bit:-

Reading your original post again I see that you have Windows 11.
Apparently the Recent Files going missing from Quick Access is a known issue with Win 11.
There can be a few possible causes, See here for more about that and some suggested fixes to try:
https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-fix-quick-access-not-showing-recent-files/

PS. Although unlikely it may just be that there is something changed/odd in Win 11 and you are the first to notice/report it.
If that is the case then it would be good to track down exactly what is happening differently to Win 10..

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you for you comments. I disabled the taskbar jump list setting and that seemed to fix the problem. I've attached a screen shot before I disabled the jump list feature. FYI I never had this problem in W10. Should I file a bug report with either Ccleaner and/or MS/Windows? Thanks for your help.

Screenshot 2022-04-20 022844.png

• Moderators

Great, and thanks for confirming that Taskbar Jumplists is what was clearing the list.

It's not really a bug in CCleaner, as the article I linked suggests it's more of an issue with Win 11 somehow linking the different lists.
Win 11 may correct that in future.

I'll make the staff aware and they should be able to ensure that future CCleaner versions have 'Taskbar Jumplists' unticked as the default setting which should then avoid the problem with Win 11.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stephen CCleaner

Thanks for reporting this inconsistency. Keeping on top of changes like these in Windows and browsers is where we spend a lot of our time. The work is fairly invisible to most users but needs doing to be able to provide a safe and reliable cleaning experience.

I've created a ticket for our Cleaning squad to cover this change. We will be focusing on Windows 11 cleaning probably over the summer months, with a release later in the year.