Wipe free clusters with CCleaner? Misleading options

thoste

When I go to

Tools-->Drive Wiper

Then I can start to erase free space. Until here everything is clear.

But when I go to

Options--->Settings

then there are some confusing settings:

1.) At the bottom users can select on which partition to wipe free space.

Why do I have to select partition here AGAIN? I though I have to select it on Tools-->Drive Wiper?

2.) Just above there is a check box "Wipe cluster Tips"?

Cluster Tips are only the remaining unused parts of partially filled clusters. But it does not mean FULL free clusters.

So are always only clusters tips wiped but not the actual all free space on a partition?

These options are at least misleading.

• Moderators

Drice Wiper and Wipe Free Space in Options/Settings are separate processes. In Drive Wiper just carry on and wipe whatever you have selected.

The Options/Settings process is the original method of wiping free space that has been retained. It has fewer options than Drive Wiper and has to be executed by checking Wipe Free Space in Cleaner/Advanced. In  this way it becomes a component of the general 'cleaning' procedure. It is independent of Drive Wiper.

In Options/Settings the Wipe Cluster Tips and Wipe Alternat Data Streams are part of Secure File Deletion: they are not part of any wipe free space process.

I don't think this is misleading, but it has caused confusion from time to time.

• Moderators

With Drive Wiper one doesn't have to fiddle with extra settings to enable/disable either such as having to remember to enable/disable Wipe Free Space under CCleaner's Advanced section. Although I'm so used to using the original Wipe Free Space I've personally never bothered with Drive Wiper other than using it once and thinking nah.