System Restore

dAiSyTX

Hi Daisy

System Restore points are stored in the (hidden) C:\System Volume Information\_restore{********-****-****-****-************} ( = "CLSID" aka 'long number') folder

The good (or maybe bad) news is, that, using the default settings, CCLeaner doesn't meddle with this folder, so something else is bound to be at fault here.

One way to remove all System Restore points is disable SR and reboot. That will purge the folder, but I don't suppose that's something you did.

There are in fact other reports of this issue (see these and these Google Groups threads, but I can assure you it's not because of anything CC may have done.

Incidentally, I also suggest you post a "HijackThis log" in this section of the forum

You'll find a sticky at the top of that section explaining how to go about that.

It may be helpful to have a closer look at your configuration.

Hi Tony,

I have a similar problem as Daisy. My restore points are being deleted by Crap Cleaner (CC) version 1.31.325. Today, I created several restore points. Each restore point was missing immediately after I ran CC.

This morning at 9:00am, I checked my system for previous restore points and there none; they were all gone. I did some research to find an explanation. At 9:18am, I created a new restore point. At 9:19am, I ran CC again. I checked the restore point & the 9:00am restore point was gone. A new restore point was created at 9:19am.

At 5:53pm, there was only restore point at 9:19am. I created a new restore point at 5:54pm. Launched System Restore & found 2 restore points, 9:19 & 5:54. I closed down all my browers (I am writing this email from Notepad). I ran CC again. Launched System Restore & found that both previous restore points were gone. A new restore point was created at 5:56pm.

CC must be deleting the restore points. Is there a solution to our problem?

Thanks in advance!

@ tony, i could never get inside the C/system volume information folder on any computer.

i can see it there but i cant open it.

access is denied.

Here's how you can access it (if you're running XP Pro): Doubleclick My Computer, then go to Tools > Folder Options, then select the View tab.

UNcheck "Use simple file sharing", then click OK.

If you're using XP Home edition, have a look here: http://wiki.djlizard.net/System_Volume_Inf..._within_Windows

... and once again, as Andavari as well as, as it now appears, Mr G., CC's developer himself have confirmed, there really is no way that CCleaner could delete your SR points, even accidentally, as it wasn't programmed to do so, and I can assure you it doesn't have a mind of its own...

It really is a mystery...

• Moderators

If you go down to post #10 in the thread neighberaaron gave a link to

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showto...amp;#entry44256

you will see what caused the thread starter in this case having his restore points deleted all the time. Could anything like that be happening in your case?

Also I believe at one time real player caused this to happen. (I'm sure Tony will know more about that than me)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If you go down to post #10 in the thread neighberaaron gave a link to

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showto...amp;#entry44256

you will see what caused the thread starter in this case having his restore points deleted all the time. Could anything like that be happening in your case?

Well, if Disk Space reserved for SR is set to 0 that would certainly have the (not so) desired effect, so that would certainly be something to check for.

Also I believe at one time real player caused this to happen. (I'm sure Tony will know more about that than me)

I'm afraid you're overestimating me there, Hazelnut. ;) I really don't know all possible causes for every single existing Windows issue by heart... LOL

I do think that carefully going over all Google Groups threads I linked to could possibly provide you with a few additional pointers.

You are correct. CC Cleaner did not wipe out my system restore points. I created 2 more and left all my CC Cleaner settings the same and ran it. The two system restore points were still there. Something else happened and I haven't figured it out yet. Thanks for your help.

Daisy

Hi Daisy

System Restore points are stored in the (hidden) C:\System Volume Information\_restore{********-****-****-****-************} ( = "CLSID" aka 'long number') folder

That's good to hear, Daisy. :)

All the same, it might not be a bad idea to do a general checkup by posting a HijackThis log as I suggested before.

An increasing number of Rbot/Sdbot worms as well as other malware tamper with System Restore settings, and while your "symptoms" do not sound familiar it can't hurt to have a closer look.

• 2 months later...

I have experienced the same problem with system restore points being erased after running cleaner. I went through all of the Windows/System entries one by one to see which setting was causing this. I found that by leaving "Empty Recycle Bin" checked, it deleted my sytem restore points. Now I leave it unchecked and manual empty the recycle bin through Windows XP.