CCleaner & Firefox troubleshooting

Hello,

I think CCleaner is doing something inappropriate to Firefox. After I clean its cache, history, cookies and compact its database, I encounter problem accessing websites : I need to clic many times on them (on the address bar or from my bookmarks) to make them load and it's driving me mad.

I've tried everything on FF (add-ons, safe mode, serviceworkers, etc...) and just found out that if I don't use CCleaner and just use FF options to clean the cache, history & cookies my websites are ok to be visited once I rerun FF.

So, I  wanted to report it. Maybe it may lead the light on something I'm truly missing here.

Best regards,

• Moderators

Thanks for reporting this.

Is this a new behaviour that only started this week?
Have you updated to Firefox 85.0?

There have been a lot of changes 'under the hood' in Firefox 85.0 which was released this week - some of which change the way tabs, networking, and caches work in the background.
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2021/01/26/supercookie-protections/

In Firefox 85, we’re introducing a fundamental change in the browser’s network architecture to make all of our users safer: we now partition network connections and caches by the website being visited.

They have also added some 'fingerprinting' protection which may be more relevant to the issue of your accessing websites.
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2020/01/07/firefox-72-fingerprinting/

When Mozilla make changes like this it can sometimes take others, such as CCleaner, time to catch up with those changes.
(We have seen this in the past, most recently when they split out the Startup Cache a few months ago).

I've not seen any odd effects in Firefox 85.0 yet myself when cleaning Firefox 85.0 with CCleaner, but different users use their browsers in different ways.

It is something I'd been watching for just in case, and yours is the first report here of any issues since Firefox 85.0 was released.

Just for more info could you tell us:
Your Windows version. (eg. Windows 10 Home 20H2)
Your CCleaner version.
Which Antivirus you are using.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you for your anwser !

It's been a while since I'm experiencing this (circa FF 78 - NB : I've always used CC to clean its cache).
Hopefully FF 80 was running perfectly.

Since FF81 and until now (FF 85), I'm still having this strange behavior. After many researches I've tried yesterday not using CC and just FF's options to clean the cache : bingo I finally don't have to clic 10 times to open Twitter.

I'm using W10 20H2 up to date, CC 5.76.8269 and Kaspersky AV 21 latest version (yes I've also tried with KAV disabled, and changed W10 firewall settings...)

I was always using the following checked boxes for cleaning FF (see attached file), unchecking the first third boxes solved the problem for me.

I'm aware the culprit may be elsewhere, but I've also informed Mozilla about this, and I've tried everything they advised me with no success... 😐
It 'may' be some serviceworkers related problems or CC erasing some needed files, I honestly don't know.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention because it may help your dev team if there's something to be investigated. 🙂

cc_settings.gif

• Moderators

So not Firefox 85.0 then.
If you have had it for a while then it's obviously not those changes.

CCleaner may be cleaning something that Firefox itself doesn't. (That's one of the points of using it; to do a 'deeper' clean).

Your mention of Service Workers reminded me that there was a report of an issue with those, and that was also affecting Twitter.
The Service Worker was being unregistered and took time to re-register when you revisited the site, which could explain what you are seeing.
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59590-ccleaner-breaks-firefoxs-service-workers/

But that was related to cookies and not the cache.
Unchecking Firefox 'Cookies' in CCleaner (or disabling the service workers) was a workaround for that one.

That was being investigated, but I don't know what came of that so lets shout the staff member who answered that one.
@Andrei CCleaner Did anything happen with the Firefox Service Worker issue?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043