CC Cleaner runs once "only"

After using the free version for years, it stopped running.  I would delete and then reinstall the program.  It would run "one time" and then not open again.  I figured it was an issue with the "free" version, so I purchased a subscription.  I am still having the same issue.  Install.  Runs once and then won't open again.  Using Windows 10 on a desktop.  Can anyone help?

• Moderators

To save time asking, I'll take a guess that you have Trend Micro as your anti virus?

Trend Micro is stopping CCleaner v5.65 from running for some reason.
(There were also early reports of McAfee doing the same but that seems to have been fixed).

We are told that Trend engineers are looking for why it suddenly started blocking CCleaner from running.

In the meantime the following steps fix the problem for most:

Many users have reported that once Trend Micro is updated to 2020 then CCleaner works as expected again.

NOTE - Updating Trend Micro from within Trend Micro itself will tell you that you are up to date - but you may not be.
You may have the 2018 or 2019 versions of TM, so while that version is up to date itself it is not the latest TM version.

You need to download and install the TM 2020 upgrade - go to this page to 'grab' the 2020 upgrade.
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-security/home.aspx

If that still doesn't clear the problem, try Whitelisting ccleaner in Trend Micro 2020 following the directions in this post
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/57702-ccleaner-not-working-after-update/?tab=comments#comment-317617

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 8 months later...

Having same issue on Win7.

Just re-installed again today.  ver 5.75 installed and worked fine.  Closed and wont restart.  I see the process in the tray and in the Task Manager Processes, but not Task Manager Applications.

I do not have TrendMicro.

I do have Norton 360 ( rebranded from Norton Internet Security).  Most settings at default.  I can disable for 15 minutes and it will still not start.

I also have NordVpn but it is not running.

I also have Malawarbytes antimalware premium.

I also have Acronis True Image2019, which has resident Acronis Active Protection...but I am fairly confident this is not issue based on its logs/history.

I think last version that ran rock solid is 5.64

Note that ccleaner will run just fine from safe mode but this is cumbersome prospect at best.  I don't see why I should have to reboot my PC just to clear my internet cache and empty temp , etc.  I don't use it for registry cleaning.

in appdata\local\microsoft\windows\WER\ReportArchive ...I located a whole shitload of AppCrash_ccleaer64.exe_xxxxxxxxxx with no file size.  I had used sysinternals Process Monitor to locate them. 

Edited by chitownbob

• Moderators

If CCleaner will run in safe mode then that's a strong indication that an AV or other security tool is blocking it in normal mode.

It can take some AV's a few days to catch up with a new CCleaner release and stop blocking it.

It's also interesting that you say the "last version that ran rock solid is 5.64".

We've seen this quite often and it's one of the signs that the AV is out of date.
The last version of CCleaner that is able to run in those circumstances is CCleaner version 5.64, later CCleaner versions get blocked by the out of date AntiVirus.
This is because of various (security) changes that were made to CCleaner at that time which the out of date AV's don't recognise.

Looking on Nortons website although they are still updating malware definitions for Norton products running on Win 7, the software itself is not being updated for Win 7 users.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin
16 hours ago, nukecad said:

last version that ran rock solid is 5.64

That was also the last version to support Windows XP and Vista.  Just checking that you aren't running in Windows XP or Vista compatibility mode (we had quite a few cases of that pop up after 5.65 was launched)

image.png

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes