New CCleaner won't close IE or Edge.

After I've been using my computer for a while, I run the new CCleaner to clear out tracking cookies, etc.  CCleaner will detect them after asking me to close IE and Edge, which I do, It then says it detects 700 to 2000 tracking cookies.  When I ask it to clear those out, Ccleaner says to clear IE and Edge again, indicating that either they were relaunched or that originally CCleaner didn't shut them down.  Then, after I ask CCleaner to shut those down (again), it comes back with the report that it didn't clear away any of thos hundreds of those tracking cookies, etc. 

I have to shut down my computer, take out the battery, unplug it and let it stand for a minute and then turn it back on again in order for Ccleaner to work properly.

Seems like the new CCleaner isn't designed properly.

• Moderators

You may configure the preloading options in the Windows Registry directly. The option works on all editions of Windows 10 including Windows 10 Home.

1. Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit.exe, and hit the Enter-key to open the Registry Editor.
  2. Confirm the UAC prompt that is displayed.
  3. To disable the preloading of Microsoft Edge:
    1. Paste the following address into the address bar of the Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main
    2. Right-click on Main and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    3. Name it AllowPrelaunch.
    4. Double-click on the new Dword and set it to 0 if it is not set to 0 by default.
  4. To disable the preloading of New Tab Page and Start content by Edge:
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\TabPreloader
    2. Right-click on TabPreloader and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    3. Name it AllowTabPreloading.
    4. Double-click on the name and set its value to 0.

A value of 0 means preloading is disabled, a value of 1 that it is enabled.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

Can we just link to the pre-made topic by admin Stephen, people have already previously complained about manually having to input values and they shouldn't be expected to manually edit the Windows registry due to possibly messing around in it damaging something not related.

Here's a pre-made topic about CCleaner not properly cleaning Microsoft Edge, it has instructions and an easy to use pre-made .reg file that's available as a download, and you don't have to manually edit the Windows registry:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/56335-solution-ccleaner-cannot-fully-clean-microsoft-edge-due-to-pre-loading/