Probably a silly question but...

MiK15

Hey,

I have only just downloaded CCleaner and I am not sure whether I should run it or not because I may lose files or programs that I dont want to. Could someone explain what it is likely to delete? Would it delete a program like google earth for example that I havnt used in ages but still want on my computer?

It wont delete any personal photos or documents will it?

What would be some of the files that it may delete that I could need and so should protect?

Sorry for asking what is probably a silly question but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

MiK15 :)

My knowledge of CCleaner

Could someone explain what it is likely to delete?

* Registry entries that point to non-existant or deleted files

* Ad site tracking cookies

Have a look at the Cleaner Settings panel and it shows the items it will clean.

You could uncheck all entries and select them one by one then see if your system is impacted by the entries deletion.

In my experience, I have not found CCleaner deleted anything I needed.

Would it delete a program like google earth
Not unless you explicitly ask it to delete it.

It wont delete any personal photos or documents will it?
Not unless you explicitly ask it to delete them.

What would be some of the files that it may delete that I could need and so should protect?
See answers above.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

My knowledge of CCleaner

* Registry entries that point to non-existant or deleted files

* Ad site tracking cookies

Have a look at the Cleaner Settings panel and it shows the items it will clean.

You could uncheck all entries and select them one by one then see if your system is impacted by the entries deletion.

In my experience, I have not found CCleaner deleted anything I needed.

Not unless you explicitly ask it to delete it.

Not unless you explicitly ask it to delete them.

See answers above.

Thanks! :D

Hi Mik15 and Welcome :)

The only thing that I would warn you about is the "Hotfix Uninstallers" option under Advanced. If you have installed any of the IE7 Betas or SP2 (as a download) then do not check that option.

Enjoy!

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

If you have installed any of the IE7 Betas or SP2 (as a download) then do not check that option.
IE7 Beta is still not ready for prime time. :unsure:

Why would you want to un-install SP2 and expose your system to the rampant infections on today's malware infested Internet :rolleyes:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

IE7 Beta is still not ready for prime time. :unsure:

That is a very inadequite response YoKenny. You are correct that IE7 Beta is not prime time, but CCleaner users still deserve to know the consequences of using the 2 applications together. MrG will fix the problem in the next release of CCleaner, but as of now any user who uses the HotFix Unistaller will be forced to reformat their PC if anything goes wrong.

@Mik 15...I will provide you the proof that you need upon request because it's already posted in 2 other threads.

Why would you want to un-install SP2 and expose your system to the rampant infections on today's malware infested Internet :rolleyes:

Because, if for some reason an End-User needs to do a repair installation...the downloaded SP2 has to be uninstalled prior to doing so.

YoKenny I suggest that you learn a bit more about computers and the Windows OS before providing such uneducated criticim, and/or advice.

EDIT: Before posting advice to n00bs please have proof to backup your words. Thanks.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

In addition to krit86lr's always excellent advice, I would like to add some information about cookie cleaning. Under Internet Explorer there is an entry 'Cookies'. If this is checked, CCleaner will delete all your cookies, which may contain saved user names and passwords, e.g. to automatically login to Internet sites.

Before you go and have all your cookies cleaned, go to Options -> Cookies. You will find a very long list of internet sites on the left side. Carefully examine each site and decide if you want to keep login information for this site; if so, move it to the right side.

This is a process that you need to do once; after that, just go ahead and clean away... :)

If you have other browsers beside Internet Explorer, you can find them under the Applications tab, where you can also disable cookie cleaning until you have configured which cookies you want to keep.

In addition to krit86lr's always excellent advice, I would like to add some information about cookie cleaning. Under Internet Explorer there is an entry 'Cookies'. If this is checked, CCleaner will delete all your cookies, which may contain saved user names and passwords, e.g. to automatically login to Internet sites.

Before you go and have all your cookies cleaned, go to Options -> Cookies. You will find a very long list of internet sites on the left side. Carefully examine each site and decide if you want to keep login information for this site; if so, move it to the right side.

This is a process that you need to do once; after that, just go ahead and clean away... :)

If you have other browsers beside Internet Explorer, you can find them under the Applications tab, where you can also disable cookie cleaning until you have configured which cookies you want to keep.

Hi pwiller, have you tested all of the above with IE7 Beta? In the past, with IE7 Beta 2, the above didn't work. Although, I haven't bothered to test the cookies issue with Beta 3 yet (I guess I gave up). IF you got it to work, could you tell me and others how? This is been a problem for people for awhile now, thanks. :)

Hi pwiller, have you tested all of the above with IE7 Beta? In the past, with IE7 Beta 2, the above didn't work. Although, I haven't bothered to test the cookies issue with Beta 3 yet (I guess I gave up). IF you got it to work, could you tell me and others how? This is been a problem for people for awhile now, thanks. :)

Although I install lots of betaware, I bypassed the IE7 beta. So my comments were meant for officially released browsers.

Although I install lots of betaware, I bypassed the IE7 beta. So my comments were meant for officially released browsers.

Why did you bypass IE7? I didn't like Beta 2, and uninstalled it soon after. But if you like betaware you should check it out. I think you'd like it. :)

As for my previous post. It wasn't a challenge, but a sincere question. The IE7 Beta's have been a pain when it comes to cookies, with or without CCleaner. But lot's of users really complain about the issues with the 2 together. I was hoping that you knew a trick or 2. ;)

I finally gave up on it myself. :(

CCleaner cleans away old unused registry keys, removes temporary files, caches, cookies, etc.

It wont remove any personal files, unless you are dumb enough to store them in the temp directory.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png